Support » Localhost Installs » Permalink not working

  • Resolved epo1968

    (@epo1968)


    The permalinks of my site suddenly failed. I believe it happened when I upgraded a plugin. When I try to visit a page using the pagename, I get a “Not found” error.
    Since then, I have been trying the following to get it working again:

    Environment: Linux CENTOS 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64, Apache 2.4.35, WordPress 5.3.2. I use the UpLift theme, but since one my of attempts includes installing WordPress from scratch – so without a theme installed – that should not be the issue.

    – reinstalled WordPress from scratch. The default permalink setting works, however, after I changed the permalink setting to %postname% the pages cannot be found anymore.
    – disabled ALL the plugins –> no effect
    – verified if mod_rewrite.so was installed in Apache –> yes, it was installed as verified by the command: “apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES | grep -i rewrite”
    – removed .htaccess and then reselected the %postname% permalink option –> no effect
    – set the permission bits of .htaccess to 664 –> no effect
    – verified that “FollowSymlinks” was active in the httpd.conf file –> it was active
    – activated “AllowOverride All” in the httpd.conf file –> no effect

    Did I miss anything?
    It still doesn’t work, and the frustrating thing is that it used to work, but I do not know how I have broken it?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Erik

    • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by epo1968.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Moderator t-p

    (@t-p)

    The default permalink setting works,

    If that works, then try reading Using_Permalinks before setting a custom permalink structure again.

    Thread Starter epo1968

    (@epo1968)

    The reason why I changed the default because the default is: sitename.com?p=123
    which is not SEO friendly.
    So that is why I chose another setting provided by WordPress: %postname% which is not a custom setting but just another radio button option. This setting is the preferred setting in every SEO article that I read so it is not strange.
    Also, I changed that setting when I started the website; not sure why it broke now.

    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by epo1968.
    Thread Starter epo1968

    (@epo1968)

    Issue solved: it turned out that the httpd.conf file containing AllowOverride was reset by puppet every x minutes…

    Moderator t-p

    (@t-p)

    Glad its sorted 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Permalink not working’ is closed to new replies.