I switched from WP.com to WP.org recently and am trying to link up my pages…again. The first time I tried to link a page to a list in another page, the link gave the 404 error. Now, it’s flipping me back to the “home/about us” page. I scrolled thru the help topics and many of them are about writing code. I’m working in the Visual Editor and not a code writer.
I certainly appreciate all your help!
Unless you provide a link to a page demonstrating the problem, no one will be able to offer much in the way of assistance.
Rats! I thought I had — so sorry.
I woke up thinking about this in the middle of the night. Perhaps I still didn’t provide enough info. If you go to the Bird Inventory and click on one of the hyperlinked bird names, that’s where the page links are messing up.
Frankly, since I migrated over, I haven’t had many things work like they should and am wondering if there was a problem in the import/export or is this normal or have to troubleshoot after a migration?
Have you tried:
– deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).
– switching to the default theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.
– resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.
– re-uploading all files & folders – except the wp-content folder – from a fresh download of your current version of WordPress. Make sure that you delete the old copies of files & folder before uploading the new ones.
Thanks for the list of things to check. I’m new but totally willing to learn. I also double checked all settings on all pages and menus.
-I have deactivated all plug ins and that didn’t resolve the issue.
-I’m not sure what the default theme is, but I switched to Twenty-Twelve as that was one of the themes in my list; no resolution
– I reset the plugins via my host following the directions provided; no resolution
– I’m not sure how the re-upload files & folders. I tried searching but haven’t found instructions– all I found was how to re-upload media files. Would this be the same as starting over? I’m wondering if this wouldn’t be a good option as I am not able to type a list either — it reverts it to paragraph form. The only way to create a list is using the bullets or numbering, which I’ve done but would prefer to have it working as it did in wordpress.com
Also, when I’m in the dashboard and on a specific page, if I click on “view page” it takes me to the About Us and not the page that I want. Not sure if knowing this helps to troubleshoot it but thought I would give you everything.
Again, many, many, many thanks for your time.
Can we see the site using the default Twenty Twelve theme with all plugins deactivated?
The theme reverted back so I’ve changed it to Twenty-Twelve again. You should be able to see it now.
I cannot see a single problem on your site at the moment.
Hmmmm….When I go to Bird Inventory and click on Red-winged blackbird, I am taken to “About us” when I’m on the site. When I’m in admin and need to “view page” it goes to About us. You were able to get to the Red-winged blackbird page? It has a photo of the bird, some info, and links for its song and more info.
When I go to Bird Inventory and click on Red-winged blackbird, I am taken to “About us” when I’m on the site.
Your site has hundred (if not thousands) of links. If you know of particular scenario or series of pages that demonstrates your problem, please try telling us. Don’t expect us to try every link combination on your site. Remember: always include as much information as possible.
Now, what happens if you switch to the default permalink structure?
I apologize. I thought it was clear when I wrote: If you go to the Bird Inventory and click on one of the hyperlinked bird names, that’s where the page links are messing up.
I looked up the permalink structure and it was set on day/month. Not sure how that happened, but I changed it to default and all seems to be working fine.
I switched back to Coraline and it seems to working fine. And, for whatever reasons, I am able to do a list without numbers/bullets now. I will load up my photo gallery plug in and hope all goes well.
I’m grateful for your time today. This has been pressing hard on my mind. THANK YOU!!!!!
My guess is that your site’s .htaccess file had become corrupted. Switching permalinks simply regenerated it again for you. Glad to hear that everything is now working again.
- The topic ‘Page links not working’ is closed to new replies.