Thanks for the reply, guys.
Here are the problems I am having. When the plugin is installed and activated I go to the page I want to restrict access to and I assign a particular user access privileges. After doing that, nothing changes. The issues are (1) the areas of the page that should be hidden are not actually hidden for other users, or (2) all users are still able to edit that page.
As a test I setup three users, x, y and z. I created three test pages, x, y and z. I went into the pages and assigned the access priveleges so they matched up; user x could access page x, user y could access page y, and so on. After doing that I signed into the admin panel as each of the users (x, y and z) and was able to access all three pages and edit them.
Role Scoper Version 0.9.27
Wordpress Version 2.5
It does look like the exact thing I was looking for though, I just can't seem to get it to function correctly.