WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

TablePress
[resolved] Odd search filtering (11 posts)

  1. sigurarm
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi.
    I just wanted to report an issue I get when search filtering in my table. My table has 57 rows and has a lot of Icelandic names, which means accented characters non-English ones etc. But that does not seem to be the cause of this issue.

    Description:

    Searching for my name: Sigurður Ármannsson. We have another with same name and a few with Sigurðs... as fathers name (aka family name).

    The odd thing is that both Sigurður are filtered out at: sigu It does not matter if I change the name to Sigurdur Armannsson, still filtered out.
    But if I revert my name (all are in the same field) to Armannsson Sigurdur or Ármannsson Sigurður it is included in the search all the way.

    Same goes for Þór and Þórðarson, Þórðardóttir. Soon as I type more than þó some of the names drop out but in the end, with Þórðar.. I still have two names found.

    It's odd and something you might want to look into.

    You can try this out at http://font.is/simaskra and I can add or change fields for experiment if needed.

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tablepress/

  2. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    thanks for your post, and sorry for the trouble.

    I can reproduce this on your site (and I think I have seen this issue before), but there's nothing that I can do directly about this at this time, unfortunately.
    This filtering is a feature of the external DataTables JavaScript library from http://www.datatables.net. So, I'm not the developer of that library, but only use it in TablePress.
    I will therefore forward your report to the developer of DataTables. Maybe he has an idea why this is happending and knows a way to fix this.

    Regards,
    Tobias

  3. sigurarm
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Ok, no problem. I am very patient and I think your plug-in is great. They probably know about this failure but if not, they can play with my small table.

  4. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    thanks for your patience!

    I've reported this here:
    https://github.com/DataTables/DataTables/issues/156

    If it can be fixed in DataTables, that fix will land in TablePress soon as well. Other than that, there's nothing I can do about this now.

    Best wishes,
    Tobias

    P.S.: In case you haven't, please rate TablePress here in the plugin directory. Thanks!

  5. sigurarm
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Sure. Good luck.

  6. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    thanks, I really appreciate it!
    I hope that we can fix that issue soon.

    Best wishes,
    Tobias

  7. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    Allan, the developer of DataTables took at look at your table, and as it seems, the problem is caused by some invisible character behind the "Sig":
    https://github.com/DataTables/DataTables/issues/156

    Can you try to remove those (probably by g­u with the keyboard and typing them again, to make sure that no such character slips in again)?

    Regards,
    Tobias

  8. sigurarm
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Ok. I found it!

    I finally realised by copying Sigurður from the webpage in Safari into BBEdit that it appears there as Sig-urður. So, it had to be in WordPress, not the actual text I input into the table.
    Because of this I disabled WP-Typography plug in and all is well. Actually I tried to activate it again and it is still fine, but possibly it takes some time to check all pages. But at least this is the matter.

    Thank you both for your effort to solve this.

  9. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    awesome! Great to hear that you found the cause! :-)
    It's weird that that other plugin adds invisible characters, but one never knows...

    Best wishes,
    Tobias

  10. sigurarm
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi again.

    The main purpose of WP-Typography is to add hyphenation to the text in the content to make text flow in a more beautiful way and also to allow text to be fully justified. That's why it adds the hyphenation marks.

    I was able to bypass the marks when I searched in the tables by adding a space where the marks where, but that was only because I knew where they were.

    I will miss that plugin but TablePress is more important for me at the moment.

    Thanks for TablePress and your time.

    Regards,

  11. TobiasBg
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    ah, ok. Thanks for the info! I guess for hyphenation, this does make sense, but yeah, not so much in tables.

    Best wishes,
    Tobias

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic