WordPress.org

Forums

[resolved] Now Reading - dead since WP2.5 (5 posts)

  1. Hedley
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I was a great admirer of RobLog's 'Now Reading' plugin. It was my favourite plugin, being a bit of a book geek. Ever since WP 2.5 or so, however, it has not worked.

    I can install it, activate, and search for books, but when I try to add a book, I get a 404 error while Now Reading is trying to execute /now-reading/admin/add.php. According to RobLog's support page, there have been a lot of others with this problem as well. His recommended solution of resaving permalinks seems to helped some, but not all.

    I have tried deactivating all of my plugins except Now Reading, I've tried switching to the default theme, removing all widgets, assigning full permissions to world to add.php, and combinations thereof. I've used PhPMyAdmin to drop any tables that contained any references to the plugin or its options. I even moved my site to a new server and rebuilt the site from scratch, and it still gets the same error (that's how obsessed I am with figuring this out).

    It looks like Rob's not too motivated these days about this plugin, but perhaps someone else experienced this and figured out a solution?

    Here's some info about my server:

    WordPress 2.6.2, installed in root
    Linux kernel: 2.6.26.5-grsec
    MySql: 5.0.51a-community
    PhP: 5.2.6
    Apache: 1.3.41 (Unix)

    I'm loathe to give up, but I think I'll be packing it on soon.

    Thanks for any advice.

    HB

  2. MichaelH
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Please consider posting a "New Job Request" [1] to have a professional fix that plugin.

    [1] http://jobs.wordpress.net/postajob.php

    Plugin is here:
    http://robm.me.uk/projects/plugins/wordpress/now-reading

  3. gomi1023
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I'm having a similar problem. When I try to add a book, the search results page comes back with just a heading and no results. I don't even get the 'add a book manually' part I used to get. I've tried this on a beta blog I'm working on, one that has no plugins and get the same result.

    Anyone have any ideas?

  4. dgilmour
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    This one died on me (WPMU 1.5.1) when I changed the database encoding from Latin-1 to UTF-8. If I remember right, examination of the logs showed that the plugin's field lengths were so large that when I changed from one-byte per char Latin-1 to two-bytes-per-char UTF-8 MySQL's maximum record length was being exceeded. Your log files will show if that's what's happening. Sorry, can't remember the error message.

  5. Hedley
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Ben Gunnink has produced an updated version. It works for me, as long as I don't use pretty permalinks, which is a drawback, but one I can live with for now, I guess.

    It can be downloaded from his site.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic