Support » Plugin: Advanced Custom Fields: Link Picker Field » Not working with (custom) taxonomies

  • Resolved janbrenstein

    (@janbrenstein)


    Hi,

    We’ve been using the Link picker field before and all was fine. But this time around, when we were are adding advanced custom fields to custom taxonomies, the Link picker fields become inert.

    There are no errors in php or javascript or anywhere else we could think of looking and we’re at a bit of a loss of what might be going wrong.

    All we did was create a custom taxonomy and then make a new custom field using ACF Pro and then when you click on “insert link” in an instance of a taxonomy, nothing happens.

    EDIT: Just to clarify, the link picker still works on options pages and posts, etc. it just doesn’t seem to work with taxonomies. And we are using the newest Versions of both the Advanced Custom Fields Pro plugin and the ACF Link Picker field plugin.

    Best regards,
    Jan

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/acf-link-picker-field/

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    Can you check whether link insertion using the toolbar icon works for a wysiwyg field (either the body field or a custom wysiwyg) in the same custom taxonomy?

    If it does work in that situation, the the problem is with this plugin. But if it doesn’t work there either, the problem is probably with WP core since this plugin just wraps the wysiwyg link picker.

    Ok so here’s the scoop:

    The wysiwyg link works. The Link Picker does as well, but only if there is also a wysiwyg field. If you remove the wysiwyg, it stops working again. So it would seem to be an issue with the plugin.

    I found a workaround though. Its a bit bothersome though. If change the field to a URL and then save a url and then change the field type back to Link picker, it complains that the input is invalid but other than “Insert link”, clicking on “Edit Link” works.

    Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    OK, thanks. I’ll take a look over the weekend and try to figure out why initialization is failing under these conditions.

    If you have any ideas in the meantime or find any relevant error reporting, feel free to suggest/point at code or push a PR at https://github.com/ahebrank/ACF-Link-Picker-Field

    Will do!

    Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    @janbrenstein, see my notes at https://github.com/ahebrank/ACF-Link-Picker-Field/issues/16 — I’m unable to replicate and also unable to create a custom taxonomy that doesn’t have a wysiwyg since WP seems to includes the “Description” field. What am I missing?

    Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    Marking this as resolved due to failure to replicate. The issue at https://github.com/ahebrank/ACF-Link-Picker-Field/issues/16 remains open if anyone has further insight.

    @caalami, I am at a loss to fail to replicate. What I mean I ist that I can’t create a custom taxonomy that automatically includes a WYSIWYG. Just to be sure, I set up a clean instance of wordpress using the twentysixteen theme and followed the instructions posted at . And I was unable to find a case where a WYSIWYG was automatically included and the link picker field worked without me manually adding a WYSIWYG field.

    EDIT: when following the instructions I attached the custom taxonomy to the post type ‘post’ instead of the custom type ‘news’

    Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    I’ll try again to replicate. If you could provide a WP instance that demonstrates this problem and send login credentials that would expedite things.

    Unfortunately I can’t provide you with credentials for security reasons. I really just used a clean install of wordpress with the default theme and the few lines of custom code you used posted over on github.

    Also there’s no hurry on my side since we are just using URL fields instead for now.

    Plugin Author caalami

    (@caalami)

    A contributor found an ACF function to force WP wysiwyg initialization if it hasn’t happened yet. Please take a look at v1.2.7 and see if this takes care of the issue above. I’ll mark this resolved for now — let me know if not.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Not working with (custom) taxonomies’ is closed to new replies.