I have just been made aware of a bug in the way we collect your tweets. If you have made a connection to Twitter through our plugin, but cannot display your Tweets, this may be effecting you.
There is a very small chance that the screen_name Twitter provides is not actually the screen_name in use by Twitter. We then use this to identify who when requesting your Tweets and
I am currently creating an update to change the way we identify you to using your User ID instead, which should prevent this problem occuring. This should be released in the next 30mins and any new connections formed using that version should not suffer the same problem.
I will update this thread as resolved once the update has been released.
Sorry for any inconvience caused.