Hi fellow NextGEN Gallery users,
After over a year of hard word, NextGEN Gallery 2.0 is now available in the WordPress plugin directory. Thank you to all the beta testers who provided useful feedback and bug reports. This is an uncommon update, and I just wanted to add some personal notes.
NextGEN 2.0 includes a completely reworked interface for the NextGEN options panel and for adding galleries to pages and posts. The new Attach to Post interface allows you to customize every gallery rather than having global settings that apply to all galleries.
IF YOU HAVE ISSUES?
We recognize this is huge update to NextGEN Gallery. We've tested it endlessly, and pushed out betas for public testing. Despite all that, an update of this size and scope is going to produce issues, in part because of the enormously wide diversity of environments in which NextGEN is used (NextGEN will be updated on 100,000 WordPress instances within the first week).
We - and I personally - are very committed to monitoring, responding to, and resolving issues. As always, we'll try to triage within the support forums to focus on bugs that are either:
a) serious or
b) affecting large number of users
But we'll be more present in the forums for the next month or two than we generally are to ensure we're on top of things.
Users should also expect relatively frequent updates in the next month or two as we track down these issues.
You can see other notes on what's included below.
Thanks very much,
MORE DETAILS ON THE UPDATE
- NextGEN Gallery 2.0 contains substantial changes to the plugin structure which means there might be incompatibilities some third-party plugins/extension including mobile apps.
- Back up your site first (both server files & MySQL Database)
- NEW: Improved user experience throughout the plugin, settings and usage.
- NEW: Plupload queue uploader that allows for bulk and zip uploads within the same interface.
- NEW: Complete redesign of the NextGEN options panel
- NEW: Added new interface for adding galleries from pages and posts.
- NEW: Galleries are now mobile friendly and responsive, which is most noticeable with a responsive theme.
- NEW: Streamlined functionality for displaying galleries based on tags.
- NEW: Architecture based on Pope Framework
- NEW: New shortcode, “ngg_images”, and corresponding Attach to Post interface
- NEW: Galleries have now global and instance settings
- NEW: Support for FastCGI environments
- Changed: Replaces shortcodes with placeholder images, however still supports legacy shortcodes.
- Changed: Introduced new Growl-like notifications
- Changed: The container and it’s images are centered for slideshows
- Changed: NextGEN styles now override vs replace default styles
- Changed: NextGEN legacy templates have been deprecated (but still function)
- FIXED: The ability to use NextGEN image as a Featured Image.
- FIXED: Many bugs and annoyances, such as PHP warnings, errors, etc.
For the history of changes, view the full changelog.