I've run into a problem, that despite all the googling and forum reading, I'm just not able to do myself. Unfortunately!
Here is my situation and with your help, I'm really hoping I can sort it!
- I had multisite running on serverA on domainA
- I've since moved to serverB but still on domainA. All is running well!
- The people who I previously worked for now want domainA back to use for something else, so I have to change the domain (but can keep and continue to run the multisite install)
- I know I can run a find/replace on the DB in order to change all references to domainA to domainB
- But what I really would love some help with is setting up the 301 redirects (maybe mod_rewrite?) in order to achieve the following:.
Redirect all traffic from any of my current subdomains (516) to their equivalent on domainB (post > post)
But also leave domainA so that my previous bosses can still use it for their next venutre (ie I can't have traffic to their site, redirecting to mine!)
Perhaps the solution is very simple? (I may be able to keep an htaccess file on domainA's new server if I ask them nicely) I just really don't know where to start!
All help would be gratefully received, thank you :)
(this has also been posted at WPTavern: http://www.wptavern.com/forum/wordpress-mu-multisite/2343-new-server-new-domain-struggling-301-redirects-htaccess.html where I'll update with the response)
Thank you again!