As a result of a requirement to get more out of excerpts than the
the_excerpt provided, "Content Extract" was born.
It's intended use is instead of
the_excerpt, and it provides the following capabilities.
- Uses an Excerpt if there is one
- If no excerpt it uses the content, breaking it as per the following logic
- If there is an explicit break (<!--More-->), then it is obeyed
- If no explicit break, then the length (in words) is checked against an upper threshold
- If longer, then content is cut back to a specified cut length that can be different to the checked upper limit
- If shorter than the upper threshold, the whole text is output
Developed and tested against WP2 stable, this should also work with WP 1.5+.
A more complete description, plus full details on how to use the plugin and a link to the downloadable zip file are available on the Content Extract support page.