[Resolved] Mystery line in RSS "xml" seen by FeedValidator and Feed Burner
I have been working for days trying to find out why all of my feeds will not validate at FeedBurner (FB) or FeedValidator.org (FV) for http://citrusdaily.com/.
The problem lies in what those two services see in an “XML” impediment to successful validation – and, with the error, feeds are rejected by a number of feed aggregators, as well.
Strangely, the feeds show up fine when viewed in a web browser (I’ve done that in three different browsers).
Here is the error, as seen by FB and FV.
* line 250, column 1: Undefined channel element: div [help]
<div style=”clear:both;line-height:1px;margin:10px inherit;”> </div></ …
* line 250, column 62: Undefined named entity: nbsp [help]
Here is line 250:
Link to Feed Validator’s interpretation
All feeds on the site have the same error on line 250
1. Thinking it might be a “blank lines program, I downloaded the Broken Rss Feed Fixer (BRRF) plug-in and deactivated the FeedBurner FeedSmith plug-in. The BRRF plug-in, if you are unfamiliar with it, produces a rss.xml file in the main WP directory. Once I removed everything between <div></div> from Line 250 in the rss.xml file, I went to FeedBruner and told it to go to http://citrustimes/rss.xml to get its RSS. Both FB and FV accepted rss.xml as valid.
This is obviously a temporary fix, since I can’t generate feeds for FeedBurner that are based on category, posts, comments, etc., since the Broken RSS Feed Fixer plug-in only feeds the front page. Not only that, but the offending line is produced in all of the site’s feeds.
Since the same error appears without the BRRF plug-in activated, it would seem to point to either a configuration problem, or something in the WordPress construction of what is seen by FB and FV as “valid XML”. If I could find that process in the WordPress core, perhaps I could eliminate the source of the error at the source – or as Barney Fife used to say, “Nip it in the bud. Just nip it.”
I’ve Googled myself to death, and I think I’m drowning. I know how hard coders have worked on this, so I’m not reporting this as a bug – just an obstacle I need help with.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Mystery line in RSS "xml" seen by FeedValidator and Feed Burner’ is closed to new replies.