1) Took two seconds to download the banner image….. and that is on a T1 connection here at work… I shudder to think about a dialup user.
2) Your menu headings, such as “Categories:”, “Archives:” and “Other:” are too light on the white background. May want to go with something darker.
3) Speaking of dark colors, red is a dark color, as is black. This make the red “Blog” almost unreadable in the black box. Especialy with such a thin font. Suggest either a different color, one that will provide a greater contrast, or a different font.
Ok, now with the unpleasantores out of the way. Overall, I like it. Clean, simple, and the pale salmon orangy/pinkish color – what IS that color? – ties in nicely with the colors in the header image.
I love the colors. Yes, the 120.47 KB (123365 bytes) banner size is WAY too big. Compress and optimize to 20KB or less.
However, that’s the only thing I’d point out as troubling. I really do love those colors together… very nice!
Matt I could give a few pointers but I fear some you might not like to hear, and to be honest I’m sure you’ve spent a hell of a lot of time sorting it out to making it look the way it looks.
If you still want to hear what I have to say I’d be more than willing to share.
Please Khaled… do say it!
I’m just an beginner at webdesign and stuff… but i would like to learn more!
So any criticism is welcome! I mean it!
Ok Matty, here goes. Now remember that these are my opinions but it’s stuff that I’ve been learning the hard way.
The colour scheme: this is the most distinct thing in this here blog, and in my eyes the most painful. The green just doesn’t work. Now you’ll say well what does work hot shot? Hmm well the way you can work out what you need in terms of colour schemes, you need to know what complementary, triadic and monochromatic colors. Do a google search and find stuff about the colour (or if you must color) wheel. From here you can determine what works and what doesn’t. Then go here:
1. Loose the italic, very bad, no real balance to the whole thing.
2. Make them smaller. It will achieve a better feel more professional, believe me.
3. Centre them, they seem a bit too much swaying to the right, another sign that something isn’t exactly right in the land of Mat’s log 🙂
Where Matt’s log is written, seems a bit like not much effort has been put into that. Either play around with the actual font and then embed them into the image. This is all meant to be something people will remember, the name of your blog, make sure it’s crystal and shiney yet subtle and to the point. The colour chosen is also a bit to jarring on that particular background.
Apart from the colour chosen for the bottom where wordpress is proudly put I think it’s on it’s way. Welcome to wordpress.
Wow! That’s a lot of help you gave me there…
I was well aware that the green wasn’t working. (see the end of my second post) I tried a light yellow and it’s better but i’m not satisfied yet…
Somehow i can’t get the tabs normal in stead of italic…
it doesn’t botter me that they are italic but i wanted to see the difference..
I would like to get my posts a little higher, or closer to the header. any help???
- The forum ‘Your WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.