[Resolved] Multisite – Unable to save options or complete scan
This URL on your FAQ is less than helpful:
My WP db user is already set with full permissions. WordFence used to work several versions ago, but at some point it stopped saving so I uninstalled it. I decided to try it out again with the recent WP & WF updates, but alas, it is still not allowing me to save any of the options I set. This only happens on my multisite install. Everywhere else that I have a single WP install it works fine.
The scan started but got stuck after a while, I’ll try the suggestions on the FAQ later when I have time, but I have to wonder if it is somehow related to the lack of ability to save on the options screen.
I would really like to add some additional protection on my site with your plugin, please advise.
I hate to be a pest but is there anyone with some advice for this issue? I’d really like to be able to use this for my Multisite install as it works well for my single installations.
I guess I’ll have to find an alternate plugin since the developers don’t seem to care to respond to this with any advice or tips. This is quite disappointing. I even tried again after the latest update, and it still sits with the spinning spokes next to the “Save Changes” button without actually doing any saving. The plugin is pretty worthless in this state.
I have *one* WP install on a multi-site. It’s also a pretty limited site (more like a place-holder). For the *one* domain there, Wordfence is working. I’ve done *nothing* special to my multisite install or Wordfence.
I’m surprised that Wordfence would even work on a Multi-Site. When I access some other site with a slightly different ULR (www.example.com vs. example.com), Wordfence complains about the DNS. No telling what else it’s struggling with in that situation.
They say it can handle Multi-Site. Maybe someone else here actually has it running on Multi-Site with multiple domains.
Just FYI – the link I provided in my original post for the FAQ.. I just checked it today, and they updated it as of September:
Modified on: Sat, 6 Sep, 2014 at 12:53 pm
There is a new option we’ve added to Wordfence to fix this specific issue. If you’re having the trouble described above, scroll to the bottom of your Wordfence options page. Check the box next to “Disable config caching”. Save your options. You should now be able to save any other option changes, change your API key and this should also fix any “cron key errors” you’re having.
So it seems I was not the only one having this problem… I checked that box, and like magic it started saving my changes. Thank goodness, I haven’t really had time to search for an alternative to WordFence.
It broke again, and I still have that box checked. The only thing that changed was WP upgraded, but WordFence has not. Hooray.
Eh. Checking dates, maybe WF did update within a week of the WP update. Nevertheless, it’s getting ridiculous that it seems to cease working coincidentally with each WP upgrade, and only on my multisite install. The single site installs keep chugging along happy as clams. Since it won’t save anymore, I can’t even try an “uncheck/re-check” of the box their FAQ said was added the last time it broke to try to get it working again.
Can I ask if you have your sites set up like domain.com/blog1, domain.com/blog2, etc or is your multisite look like blog1.domain.com, blog2.domain.com?
I’m not sure why you have the problem with a multisite specifically. One of my big sites (multiple blogs, custome themes, many plugins, and traffic into the thousands of hits a day) has wordfence working with no problem.
Lastly, you seem to draw a conclusion about our upgrades being times with wordpress’. We have a fairly aggressive release cycle. We have new releases many times a year. Some of these are, in fact, near to wordpress updates because we follow wordpress coding standards pretty closely. A lot of times you’ll run into problems when a developer’s plugin does not.
Let me know about the answers to the above questions.
I have multisite set up so that the domains are blog1.domain.com, blog2.domain.com, etc.
This is the only thing that is showing up in the error console when I go to the Options page of WordFence.
That is via FireFox. Via Chrome, it tells me this:
admin.php:1 XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://www.mydomain.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php. No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource. Origin ‘http://mydomain.com’ is therefore not allowed access.
Not sure how that admin-ajax is being pulled from a different domain. If that isn’t available many things in wordpress won’t work, and wordfence definitely will have issues. You’ll need to work that out.
So, keeping what you said in mind, I got to thinking of the http://www.domain.com vs. domain.com thing.
The problem WordFence is experiencing, is when I’m logged in via the latter way, without “www”. It can’t save if the www is missing. But if I add ‘www’ into it… it will save without a problem.
If I try changing this in my wp-config.php…
define(‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘www.mydomain.com’); … then I can no longer get into the network admin level of WPMS.
So, I guess from here on I’ll just have to remember if I need to do anything in WordFence, I need to make sure that “www” is preceding my domain name.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Multisite – Unable to save options or complete scan’ is closed to new replies.