I have a multisite network where the sites are all connected in concept as well as content (it’s a network for a publication that offers different editions for different regions, so each subdomain on the network will be associated with a particular edition).
The difficulty I’m facing at the moment is in finding a login solution that meets the needs outlined below. (I’ve tried a few different login plugins that have widgets for the sidebar, but I don’t think I’ve hit on the right one yet (or I’m just missing how to handle the above requirements) — and some kept giving errors.)
Here’s what I’d like to have happen:
1. I want a sidebar login. There should be login fields (username/email and password) with a login button. There should be a link to register, and a link if you’ve forgotten your password. (I don’t want Entries RSS, Comments RSS, or WordPress.org links.)
2. The activity for login will all take place in the sidebar — you login, then the login form goes away and it says “Welcome (name)!” with an option to logout. I don’t want the option for the profile available for anyone. I don’t want the dashboard/site admin option available to users with the subscriber role (which is to be the default role when people register on the site).
3. If you need to register or you’ve forgotten your password, it’s okay to be taken to a new screen, but I want you to be returned to the same page on the subdomain site where you accessed the (register or forgotten password) link once you complete that activity (not to the main network site or a different page on the subdomain site).
4. When you logout, you should be taken to the page you were on — I do NOT want the login form then shown in the main content column of the page, too. (That’s what happened with one of the plugins I tried — I logged out, and then the login form was shown both in the sidebar as well as in the main content column.)
5. I want users to have to register/login in order to leave comments. Because of this, I want users to be able to register for subscriber accounts — but I do NOT want them to be able to set up new subdomain sites on the network.
6. I want users to be able to register on one site, and then be able to login to comment on all sites in the network (just with one login to any of the sites on the network).
Eventually there may be a paid section of the site (for members only) — if there’s a solution that would handle everything above as well as the future paid section, that would be good to know now.
Plugins I’ve tried (but haven’t been able to get all of the above elements to work right):
– Custom Meta Widget
– Login Logout
– Peter’s Login Redirect
– Sidebar Login
– Theme My Login
(I haven’t tried/I’m not currently using a member plugin.)
Thanks for any guidance/suggestions!!!
- The topic ‘Multisite Network Login Functionality — Help?’ is closed to new replies.