Multisite and category subdomains
I am setting up a wordpress site (hosted by hostgator in case it matters) and one of the requirements is to move (merge) existing blogger content to the new site.
The situation is something like this:
– existing blog is hosted at blogger, and is accessible through blog.myname.com subdomain
– the new site will use mybiz.com domain
– i want blog.myname.com to redirect to blog.mybiz.com where the new content is going to be
I managed to get this concept working by installing multisite and creating a new blog.mybiz.com site and configuring this site to run on both, old and new subdomains. The problem with this setup is:
– I need to maintain two sites, which is really not something I want to do
– I’m not sure how easy it is to aggregate feeds from blog.mybiz.com to the main mybiz.com site
One option is to create a category menu on mybiz.com site and have the old blogs at /blog/category/blog/ then redirect blog.myname.com to this URL. But the problem is, the browser URL is replaced with the new URL, which I don’t really like.
I’ve tried a subdomain plugin (translating categories to subdomains) but it does not seem to work with multisite (due to that NOBLOGREDIRECT thingy).
I know multisite is maybe not the best for this particular usecase, but I plan to host other, unrelated sites in the future, so I could really benefit from this setup.
- The topic ‘Multisite and category subdomains’ is closed to new replies.