When adding multiple links to a help document, several links (together with some content) disappear on the client site and only 1 link is shown.
Using Sync Pull option
On the site where the documents are pulled from all links and content appear as expected.
I had this problem as well, but I like the concept of the plugin so much that I spent some time fixing it.
It looks like there are a few problems in the code related to regular expressions primarily. I’ve got it working on my servers but I don’t make any claims that the changes I’m listing will work on all configurations.
For those of you who are programmers, you can try making the following 5 changes to the plugin’s wp-help.php file:
1) Remove the following: public function convert_links_cb( $matches )