Hi, I have similar needs, like Ricettedelcuore's:
My main site is: http://www.languagematerial.com and hosted in iPage.
There, my posts will be exclusively in english. But I want to set up similar contents in spanish and french. Similar here means that some articles will be translated from english, and some will be written in their original foreign languages. I'm not sure about the best way to proceed. My requirements are:
1. I want to keep and use the address: http://www.languagematerial.com which is a domain I own.
2. For the "satellite" languages, I guess the best approach is to create subdomains like: http://www.languagematerial.com/spanish and http://www.languagematerial.com/french (because I have selected the option of subfolders with multisite)
3. I'm not even sure if a simple WordPress installation is capable of fulfilling my needs and I'm just over-complicating things.
4. I don't want ANY robotic translation of anything. Anything different from a perfect translation hurts the purpose of the sites. So any language plugin should only MANAGE the respective pieces of text generated by human translators, and NOT translate the pieces themselves.
5. I need that the language of the advertisements correspond with the language of the respective language group, for example, the ads for http://www.languagematerial.com/spanish should be only in spanish, and maybe also in sync with the user's country.
And finally, I'm not quite sure of what to do to create the subsites:
http://www.languagematerial.com/spanish and http://www.languagematerial.com/french.
Any clue would be highly appreciated, thanks.