Support » Plugin: Broken Link Checker » Mulitple 500 server error messages

  • Resolved arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)


    Over the last few days we’ve been getting notifications from the plugin about multiple broken links however when I check the links the pages are showing fine (have also checked on another browser and incognito mode to be sure).

    The pages are all showing a 500 server error message, also the links are displaying the “product” slug in the URL (ie mysite.co.uk/product/productname/) whereas we have the site config’d to remove this so that URLs are just mysite.co.uk/productname/. Don’t think it’s relevant but just in case (and that config hasn’t changed in any way recently).

    Any ideas what might be going on?

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Support Adam – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support8)

    Hi @arcaswebdesign

    I hope you’re well today!

    The links in question are “self links”, right? By this I mean they are to the same site on which the plugin’s running?

    It’s quite possible that if there was a change in links and there are some additional cache (or other plugins that affect internal rewrite rules), it could cause a sort of conflict.

    Please start with this:

    1. re-save permalinks on site (no need to make any changes, just re-save them as they are)
    2. clear all cache on site and server
    3. and use “nuclear option” in Broken Link Checker to force it to re-discover and re-check links:

    – go to “Settings -> Link Checker” page
    – switch to “Advanced” tab
    – click on “Re-check all pages” button next to “Forced recheck” at the very bottom
    – give it some time to check the site and links

    Let see if this fixes the issue.

    Best regards,
    Adam

    Thread Starter arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)

    Hi Adam

    Thanks for the response – yeah these are all internal links. The link structure hasn’t changed in any way since launch, though a number of plugin updates were run last week so I wonder if this has somehow affected things.

    Just kicked off the nuclear option now so will see how it goes.

    Thread Starter arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)

    Just confirm it’s reporting lots of broken links again with a 500 error, same as before?

    Thread Starter arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)

    Just to confirm we are still seeing the plugin pick up multiple pages/links which it’s identifying as 500 server errors though I can’t see anything wrong with the pages themselves.

    Plugin Support Predrag – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support1)

    Hi @arcaswebdesign,

    I have checked one of your products with Uptrends tool and the results from there are also returning 500 error even though the product does load for me.

    You can see the results from my test here:
    https://www.uptrends.com/tools/uptime?toolRequestGuid=553da4bb-1bac-4892-9b87-cb91552e0a7e

    I’m afraid that this is something specific on your site, either a plugin/theme causing it or something on your server end that is causing the error for scanners.

    I would suggest checking this further with your host as they might be able to give you a better idea after checking the server logs.

    Cheers.
    Predrag

    Thread Starter arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)

    Thanks for this. The error only seems to show for the product pages themselves, the main pages and category pages all show as responding fine.

    One thing I noticed is that the URLs your plugin notes are long the lines of https://www.pinnaclefitness.org.uk/product/blitz-fitness-3in1-soft-foam-plyo-plyometric-jump-squat-box-block-fitness-new/ whereas the actual URLs on the site (and in the code of the page, as far as I can see) is https://www.pinnaclefitness.org.uk/blitz-fitness-3in1-soft-foam-plyo-plyometric-jump-squat-box-block-fitness-new/ (there is no /product/ part in the URL path)

    The permalink structure under Settings>Permalinks is set to include that path but only because we are unable to remove it entirely, so we have another plugin called Permalink Manager which can and does.

    Not sure if this matters as this has always been the case and your plugin has never erroneously flagged pages before? FYI I’m also checking things with the host.

    Thread Starter arcaswebdesign

    (@arcaswebdesign)

    Just to say that I believe I have gotten to the bottom of this, at least in terms of getting rid of the errors – looks like an issue with the WooCommerceBuilder plugin as we noticed errors coming from it in the error log and rolled back to a previous version then confirmed they went away, re-checked using Uptrends and confirmed all okay – then rechecked using your plugin and the errors fixed themselves.

    Still not sure why the page was displaying fine for users but showing errors for your plugin and for Uptrends but that seems to have been what was causing it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.