Hi guys! Running latest wordpress 3.1.3, MultiSite (with 3 sub-sites). configured to use directories, not domains. Working great, no problems at all.
However – I had to move the whole wordpress to a new domain (and thus a new installation directory).
PROBLEM: As soon as I moved it, the site won’t come up at all anymore. I get HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error).
What’s really weird is that if i make a directory level symlink (ln -s original-install-dir-name new-install-dir-name) then suddenly the wordpress (and all 3 subsites) work perfectly on the new domain.
So that means that somewhere, somehow, in some multisite or wordpress config file, the old directory is still hard coded.
What error logs say:
the error_log file in the wordpress install root says:
[03-Jun-2011 23:22:32] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘/home/user/public_html/xxx//wp-includes/class-wp-error.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/user/public_html/xxx/wp-load.php on line 48 ** yes that is a double “//” in the error log, I did notice that as well.
Migration process: Followed the Codex “Moving wordpress directions” for moving multisite (though they are very sparse).
Steps taken to migrate:
– edited the wp-config.php: changed domain – the install dir is not specified in that file at all
– per the Codex, opened database in phpMyAdmin and manually changed wp_options, wp_2_options, wp_3_options, wp_site, wp_site_meta – i think that was it – basically searched for any place where there was the name of the old domain (same as the install dir) and manually replaced those.
Background (probably not relevant, but just in case):
Our production website Ask Dan & Jennifer is made up of 3 wordpress installs. We’re consolidating those into a single WordPress Multisite (directory-based).
However to prevent downtime, made a copy of all files in that wordpress and the whole database, and restored it perfectly under this temporary domain. that worked great. then upgraded to multi-site and imported the 2 other sites as sub-sites. again, all worked perfectly.
Before deploying this to production, I’m doing a test migration of this temp domain to a 2nd temp domain – to be sure there are no problems moving wordpress multisite. glad I did that, since you see the problem I ran into. 🙂
- The topic ‘Moving WordPress3 Multisite Install Directory: 500 Internal Server Error’ is closed to new replies.