Support » Fixing WordPress » Moving from development to live and my style sheet seems to have a conflict

  • Hi there,

    I have moved my site from a server where I was developing the site to a new one and everything seems to be working. However, when I went to change something in style.css the first change appeared on the new site (this is a child theme). However, when I went to make a second change it did not. Thinking there was something wrong with my css I went back to the old site and started testing it out. However, I noticed that the changes I made in there were now showing up on the new site.

    Somehow there is a conflict between the style sheets. I then went to check the database and downloaded the .sql file and opened in dreamweaver and I noticed that in the recently edited section changes that the url seems to be flipping between the new and old style sheets.

    Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.


Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • did you change the urls in settings>>>General.

    Yes both the WordPress address (URL) and the site address (URL) have the new url.


    Also, noticed some weird behaviour that when I save a change to the css the change is made, but then when I refresh the page the change disappears and then another refresh brings back the change. However, after doing that quite a few times the change disappears for good.

    If (css) changes you make on your development server are appearing on your new server it sounds like there are some hard coded references in your theme to the development server path. Is your theme using proper function calls when loading stylesheets and the like? In other words, is the theme using a function like bloginfo( ‘stylesheet_url’ ) to get the stylesheet URL or are there harcoded paths such as “….”

    I am not exactly sure where to look, but I will give it a try and see what I find.


    If there is reference hard coded css you will find it in your header.php file.

    I checked out the header.php and it looks like it is not hardcoded as I see this snippet of code in there.

    bloginfo( ‘stylesheet_url’ )


    I’m just wondering if this is a simple caching issue. Sometimes when you upload changes to a site, especially stylesheet changes, your browser doesn’t pickup the new stylesheet as the old one is cached on your computer. This can make it look like the changes weren’t uploaded properly or just didn’t work for some reason. It’s always a good idea to make sure you refresh your browser window after uploading a new stylesheet. If the changes still don’t appear to have taken, try refreshing multiple times. It’s also worth closing your browser and reopening it, just to make sure. Another option to try is to delete your browsers cache. There’ll be an option in one of your browser menus for this and will vary between browsers. In Firefox for example, there’s a “Clear Recent History…” option under the Tools menu.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Moving from development to live and my style sheet seems to have a conflict’ is closed to new replies.