Support » Plugin: Broken Link Checker » Most of the links are treated as broken

  • Hi, most of the links are treated as broken with Unknown error:
    Link last checked: February 12, 2020
    HTTP code: 0
    Response time: 0.000 seconds
    Final URL: https://www.iarai.ac.at/contact/
    Redirect count: 0
    Instance count: 6

    This link has failed 1 time.
    This link has been broken for 1 day.

    Any idea what to check or what logs to inspect? Maybe some server requirements?

    I disabled the plugin for now.

    Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plugin Support Dimitris – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support6)

    Hello @seventhqueen

    Is the https://www.iarai.ac.at/contact/ that was being reported as down? Please advise! Cause I checked it in a testing site of mine and looks good (returns a “200 OK” code). So it could have been temporary down?

    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

    Hi, as I said in the initial ticket content, most sites are treated as broken. That is just an example and there was no temporary down problem for all of them

    Plugin Support Adam – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support8)

    Hello @seventhqueen

    If you click on “Details” link right below the link status in “Status” column, there should be a “log:” part showing requests and response headers – what are they for you?

    Please note also – there might be some cases when check from one site/server works fine but from other it doesn’t. That’s because the check is performed “locally” from the server and a target server might, for example, implement some geo-restrictions or other forms of access security/limitation.

    The other possible reason here could be some connection issues “from” your site. Did you check WordPress debugging also? You can enable it by adding following lines to the “wp-config.php” file of your site right above the “/* That’s all, stop editing! */” line

    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

    Once they are there, try running re-check of those links in Broken Link Checker and then look into the /wp-content/debug.log file to see if there are any cURL or otherwise “connection-related” issues reported.

    Kind regards,
    Adam

    SeventhQueen

    (@seventhqueen)

    Hi, thanks for your reply. The Log from the Status column is empty:
    Log: === (No response) ===

    (Using Snoopy)
    Link is broken.

    In the debug log I just get something like this:
    -2020 10:37:17 UTC] PHP Notice: class-snoopy.php is deprecated since version 3.0.0! Use wp-includes/http.php instead. in /usr/share/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4786

    Plugin Support Nastia – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support9)

    Hello @seventhqueen

    I hope you are doing well!

    Regarding the PHP notice, would you please update the WordPress version to a tested one and make sure all plugins are up to date? Please have a site’s backup before updating the plugins.

    Are there any security plugins on your site? If yes please temporary deactivate them and trigger a link check from Settings > Link Checker > Advanced and click on Re-check all pages button to run a new test again.

    Hi, as I said in the initial ticket content, most sites are treated as broken

    Please elaborate, are these sites are links to a 3rd party sites?

    Please advise,

    Kind regards,
    Nastia

    I am talking about internal links and external links. WordPress is at the latest version. Can you please escalate this to a higher level of support? Thanks

    Plugin Support Adam – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support8)

    Hi @seventhqueen

    The part of the debug log that you shared actually made me wonder about the code. The “Snoopy” class is long deprecated and while that doesn’t mean it’s not available and that it doesn’t work – it shouldn’t be used any longer as there are better ways to do connection to any URLs.

    It might actually be a part of the problem, indeed, as it was deprecated for a reason. It’s not as “universal” as wp_http and that might result in issue. Not being a developer (and plugin still being relatively new to us) I wasn’t aware it’s using it but it’s certainly something that our developers should look into.

    I’ve reported it to developers already so they would check it and include fix in one of upcoming releases. I can’t say for sure at the moment that this is the ultimate reason why the issue is happening on your end but I’m pretty sure it’s related.

    Our developers will look into it.

    Kind regards,
    Adam

    SeventhQueen

    (@seventhqueen)

    Thanks, I was wondering if maybe it is related to a server requirements that I am not aware of.
    Cheers

    Plugin Support Adam – WPMU DEV Support

    (@wpmudev-support8)

    Hi @seventhqueen

    I can confirm that it’s indeed an issue in the plugin, as I suspected (as mentioned in my previous post). I can see that it’s already “on the table” so should be fixed in one of upcoming releases.

    I don’t have an ETA and can’t say for sure if it will be the nearest one, yet, but if not – most likely the one after that.

    Best regards,
    Adam

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.