WordPress.org

Forums

[resolved] Migrate Existing WordPress Site at Root to Another Existing Site Sub-Directory (3 posts)

  1. jwrightspplus
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I have an existing WordPress site setup at the root level of an account:
    http://chicago-charter.spplusparking.com

    I need to migrate this site from that location into a sub-directory of another existing site on another server:
    http://www.spplus.com/chicago-charter

    • I have created the new sub-directory on the existing site.
    • I have copied all the directories/files from the original WordPress site to the new sub-directory
    • I have copied the database from the original WordPress site to a database for the new location.
    • I have updated any references to the old domain name to the new domain name in the .htaccess file at the new sub-directory root
    • I have updated the wp-config.php file with the new database connection information.
    • I have updated the "siteurl" option in the new database to point to the new root URL for the new domain (i.e. http://www.newsite.com )
    • I have pointed the "home" option in the new database to point to the new URL for the sub-directory (i.e. http://www.newsite.com/new-directory)

    When I go to the http://www.newsite.com/wp-admin URL I get nothing but a blank white screen.

    The original site has the following .htaccess file at the root level:

    RewriteEngine on
    
    # Use PHP5 as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
    
    # Add www to site
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS}s ^on(s)|
    RewriteRule ^ http%1://www.%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

    I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks!

  2. kbellagio
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Try a few things:

    Remove all plugins
    See if the new URL is actually in the new database

    From my experience it could be one of the two things or both.

  3. jwrightspplus
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thanks for the quick reply kbellagio. It worked.

    The URL is in the database but not quite right:

    Orginal settings:

    SELECT * FROM xxxx_options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl' OR option_name = 'home'
    
    "36","home","http://www.spplus.com/chicago-charter","yes"
    "1","siteurl","http://www.spplus.com","yes"

    Needed to change the value for siteurl to "http://www.spplus.com/chicago-charter"

    I also removed all the plugins.

    I am now able to see my WP-Admin area and can start to drop the plugins one at a time and see which one kills it all again.

    Thanks for the help!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.