Can we please work on writing a definitive guide to getting this setup correctly?
Here are the steps I've got down so far:
At this point, we'll assume:
a. you have one copy of wordpress installed in the root of the web server
b. for each domain that you want to host in MU - your DNS is setup with ARecord @ web.server.ip.or.hostname
BEFORE INSTALLING PLUG-IN - Install Network (MU) for WordPress 3.0
1. To enable this feature append following line in wp-config.php:
2. Log out and log back in to your WP backend on your domainA/.
3. Go to Tools > Network choose the sub-directories option and click install.
4. Edit wp-config.php with the additional lines and create the .htaccess as noted.
5. Log out and Login - Now, you should be Super Admin.
6. Go to Plugins > Add New (at top of page)
7. Search for: WordPress MU Domain Mapping
8. Install it and activate it
9. Create /wp-content/mu-plugins directory
9. Copy /wp-content/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/domain_mapping.php to /wp-content/mu-plugins/
10. Copy /wp-content/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/sunrise.php to /wp-content/
11. Add the following to wp-conifg:
define( ‘SUNRISE’, ‘on’ );
12. On the WP Dashboard /wp-admin/ - go to Sites and create the site for the second domain you would like to use in MU (note SITE ID when you create it - this was not clear to me at first).
13. DO NOT EDIT THE DOMAIN MAPPING YET!! If you do you will get redirects to something like //com/domainamecom because this plugin does weird stuff!!
14. Go to the backend for the SITE you just created and click on Tools > Domain Mapping
15. Add the Domain name(s) you want to use to point to this SIte.