<rant> Attention Help Seekers
Before running to the forums for help with your WP problem, please try to do this first. The forum is run by volunteers. They aren’t being paid to help you. Their time IS, however, valuable. Yeah, yours is too, but if you want help, you need to learn to (1) help yourself first, and (2) help those who you want to help you.
1. Google http://www.google.com .. is your friend. If you want to google for results from this site, simply do this in the google search box:
keywords you want to search site:www.wordpress.org
2. If your problem is with a plugin, visit the plugin author’s page first. Sometimes they have a forum set up for plugin problems. Otherwise, check the comments. Often the solution to your problem will be found there.
3. If your problem is with a theme, visit the theme designer’s page first. Ask them for help with your problem or check the comments there, just as with a problematic plugin.
4. Questions about CSS and HTML problems, general server problems, web hosting issues, etc. are beyond the scope of this forum. While you might get lucky and some kind soul who just happened to wake up on the right side of the bed that morning *might* help you out with your problem, don’t count on it. Address web hosting issues and problems with your own web host. Google (see point #1) for general CSS, HTML and PHP questions.
5. Link to your site if you want someone to help you with it. And don’t be lazy or clever and put something like:
www. mycooldomain .com
Make it clickable so anyone wanting to help you can click on the link and go right to your blog. This is not volunteers/helpers being lazy, this is you being efficient and courteous.
Here’s a clickable link:
http://www.mycooldomain.com (note the http:// in the front).
6. If your problem is solved, whether someone here helped you, you figured it out yourself, or someone else helped you, please be courteous to everyone else using this forum and come back and:
(a) post the solution so others can benefit from your experiences (just as you’d want them to do for you); and
(b) mark the post [RESOLVED] so that people having the same trouble can find your post and the solution.
Okay, I’ll sit back down now.
- The topic ‘<rant> Attention Help Seekers’ is closed to new replies.