Yesterday, out of the blue, I lost over 20 of my 44 pages, three categories were gone and about 100 of 250 posts. Also my linkroll was messed up.
I did NOT:
- do an update of WP (still testing 2.8.5. on my testsite)
- install a new plugin or update one
- make one new post
- change one existing page
- make a WP XML dump through Admin
- test my blog with xenu.exe (linkchecker)
That's when I saw it go wrong. Xenu found too many links to check (you see the number during the process).I got all sort of missing links to or from revision pages (never saw them before)
At that moment the site missed as described a lot of stuf.
Checkin the DB in MyPlesk: I saw in the posts table, when sorting by post date, a lot of newest-dates were for posts of the type "revision" and these were older posts that I had not openend in months.
What I did:
- run the Exploit scanner; nothing special found
- running local Malwarebytes antiMalware; quick scan nothing found; full scan still running
- uploaded fresh wp through FTP
- luckily my host had a "late previous night" backup and put that online
Strange enough a two days old post was missing from there.
Any thoughts out there on what happend??? Please shed some light; for a big but non commercial site this is taking far too much time keeping WP safe, uptodate, backed up etc. I am more a content orientated man, not a software guru.