I've been blogging in multiple languages. Unfortunately, it appears I've been doing it in a unique and unpopular way. :)
My audience is, most of the time, exactly as multilingual as I am, and if they aren't, well, there's nothing in my postings they won't be able to live without. As a result, I never bother to blog the same text in more than one language. A portion of my postings is in one language, another portion is in a different one, and I choose the one to use depending on the mood and topic more than anything else.
Since as early as WordPress had the ability to assign multiple categories per posting, I've been doing it by having distinct categories assigned to each language. This way, if someone wants to read my blog but doesn't speak one of the languages I use, they can subscribe to a category feed / read by category and ignore stuff they don't understand.
Naturally, this isn't ideal, since when you select posts by language you can't select them by any other category, and I've been looking for a better way to do it for ages.
Most of the plugins I've seen so far:
- Involve selecting the language to show based on browser language, which is unacceptable, since many of my readers would rather read my postings in all languages, and most others don't even know what browser language is.
- Concern themselves much more with making a posting available in multiple languages at the same time, which I never ever do.
- Try to make up for lack of other languages by automated translations, which break down spectacularily when confronted by my writing style.
What I want is:
- Something that would let people toggle languages individually, store this setting independently of permalinks (in a cookie, maybe) and default to all toggles set to 'yes'
- Work sensibly with feeds without disrupting the existing feed link names, but still leave the ability to subscribe to only one language.
- Return correct language meta tags in individual posting pages and feed entries.
Is there any ready-made plugin for the current WordPress 2.1.3 which would let me do it my way, or which could be expected to be hackable to do what I want, or do I have to write it myself again?