thank you for your effort on this plugin 🙂
However, I noticed that the update (via plugin auto update) killed most of the sites of mine and caused massive database load on the servers.
As far as I saw it, the problem is the following:
When the plugin notices that the current data is old (from an old version), it’ll update the data. It however does this on every request. So that means if you have a fairly busy website and quite some articles to process, chances are that multiple instances of the updater are running at the same time.
This causes massive loads and eventually outages (too many connections for example). And it puts the data multiple times into postmeta because job #2 doesn’t know about job #1 already running (though not yet quite finished.
My proposal would be that you put a lock into wp_options that an update job is already running which you remove upon completion.
This also gives you the flexibility of doing a staged migration, so that it would only do say 1000 posts at a time.
I also noticed that a previous update missed to set the kksr_ver to 4.2 (despite me having 4.2 installed), so it runs v2 to v4 first and then (at the same request) v4 to v5 then. This could also be mitigated with a lock information. 🙂
- The topic ‘Lock file for database update’ is closed to new replies.