Support » Plugins and Hacks » Achievements for WordPress » [Resolved] Localization to Spanish

[Resolved] Localization to Spanish

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    The strings are in the dpa.pot file that comes with the plugin. If you’ve not translated WordPress plugins before, start by looking at http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress#Translation_Tools

    Thanks Paul! I will keep you updated in this post. Cheers!

    Hey! I lost my account for some reason :S

    I have translated most of the strings on Poedit and I have exported a MO file with my progress. Do I have to do anything special with the plugin to make it work or does it support translations automatically?

    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    If your site is already using another language, you should name the .mo file dpa.mo and put it in the following directory. You’ll probably have to create some of these folders manually:


    Worked like a charm 😉

    On a secondary note, I was using the CodeStyling Localization plug-in to localize and I got the following compatibility issue:

    “Loading Issue: Author is using load_textdomain instead of load_plugin_textdomain function. This may break behavior of WordPress, because some filters and actions won’t be executed anymore. Please contact the Author about that.”

    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    Hmmmm. I’m not sure this is actually a problem, but I’ll double-check and investigate for the next release. Thanks for letting me know!


    Hi Paul,

    Congratulations on such great plugin.

    I’m having some issues placing the spanish translation files in the correct place. I’ve created the folders as you indicate above to no avail.

    My site is http://tutecnologia.com

    Thank you,


    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    Hey Ariel,

    I think I made some mistakes with the file name/directory in the current version which is confusing people. Assuming the Spanish locale code is es_ES, try putting file here:


    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    I’ve been telling lies. Sorry! 🙂

    File needs to be dpa-??.mo

    e.g. dpa-es_ES.mo

    Hi Paul, can we submit our translations to be included with your plugin? If you don’t already have one, I’ll be happy to include a German translation.


    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    It’d be a great bonus, but I’m worried about translations going out of date (as I add new strings/features), and the workflow around updating the translations and updating the plugin with the new MOs.

    Any suggestions on how this could work?

    Hi Paul, good point: what to do with outdate translations?

    I’ve been looking into this a bit and may have found a solution:

    1. Initialize localizations using the load_plugin_textdomain function ()
    2. For each version of the plugin where you make changes to text strings, update the domain, i.e. achievements-3-1-4_de-DE.

    I believe this will only load updated translation files belonging to the correct domain. Although I’m not sure if this means you need to update your code everywhere there is a string with the new domain?

    I guess that leaves the manual option: accept translation files, bearing in mind that the non-translated strings will just show as english, and send out a call to the translators to send in updated language files. But that could get into a management nightmare.

    I guess short of that, you could maybe host contributed language files on your web site for people to download and update as need, then include the ones that are up-to-date.

    Or you could just specify a localization directory in the plugin, then allow users to add their own translations to their child-theme, but I think a hosted option would be a step better, as it would keep you in the loop, and give your users a starting point to update localizations as needed.

    This is a toughie. 🙂


    Plugin Author Paul Gibbs


    Yep; trying to do this without creating additional management burden for me, and I don’t have a web server or any places I can collect contribute language files.

    I got my account back =)

    I’ve translated a fair amount of the front-end sections to spanish. I had some problems using Poedit for certain strings with a singular and plural version.

    I’ll test it in my website and let you know of the results.

    Hey Paul, now that has really taken me some time now to find the correct place for the translation. The readme.txt still states it wrong. Maybe you should adapt that, too

    Thanks so far.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] Localization to Spanish’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar