I am defeated!
Have attempted pretty much as many suggestions posted on the forum as I can bear...
I am attempting to install WP locally onto my PC (OS X 10.9) using the MAMP application:
Having followed all the instructions, this is as far as I can get:
1) Downloaded and installed MAMP - Apache document root is set to: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs ; PHP version 5.5.3 ; Apache Port-8888 & MySQL port -8889
Both status lights are green.
2) phpMyAdmin: Created database called - 'wordpress' (no tables in database if that means anything)
3) Down loaded WordPress and saved into folder htdocs: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs
Located wp-config-sample.php and edited the database details as below...
// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
/** MySQL database username */
/** MySQL database password */
/** MySQL hostname */
/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
* WordPress Database Table prefix.
* You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique
* prefix. Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!
$table_prefix = 'wp_';
Once those changes were made, I saved the file as: wp-config.php
4) I then Returned to safari and entered: http://localhost:8888/wordpress/
This was returned with - "Error establishing a database connection"
If I however enter: http://localhost:8888, this returns:
Index of /
wordpress/ (if I try and open this wordpress folder it then returns Error establishing
So, I've tried to re-install WP with the correct edits to WP-CONFIG.php, to no avail.
I am truly at a loss on how to progress to the WP login page.
Any assistance will be much appreciated.
Extract from phpMyAdmin:MySQL
The MySQL Database can be administrated with phpMyAdmin.
To connect to the MySQL Server from your own scripts use the following connection parameters:
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'root');
or you can connect using an UNIX Socket: