Today I decided to move from FA5 to FA6, but to my disappointment I am running into issues making the transition due to this ACF FA plugin and its FA6 implementation.
I paid for the FA6 Pro subscription, with the plan to gain access to the updated icons and new options 6.4 currently provides. I have no desire to use any of the subscription related features in the future, beyond my initial setup, as I am very GDPR conscious and try to make sure everything is locally hosted (at least on the frontend).
The standard Pro package seems to be heavier than FA5, and understandably so when the “Regular” style for example seems to be going from 1800 icons to 6400. This is a great reason to use the Pro Subsetter to strip down some of the icons that seem unnecessary. I downloaded the Pro Subsetter, selected the icons I wanted and created a custom Icon Subset. This worked fine and I have no issues with the Font Awesome 6 side of things, but…
- The plugin requires an API token and selected Kit. Fair enough, but these have zero relevance to a locally hosted solution.
- If I do add an API token and create a Kit to enable Pro icons, I am enabling ALL icons in the ACF field, which is not what I want. You would see all the icon choices that I have decided not to use and then selecting one that my locally hosted subset doesn’t have would cause it to not work. This is unacceptable. Clients would run into broken icons all the time.
- It’s true that the plugin has the “Icon Set Builder”, which theoretically would allow me to choose the icons you see in the field. In reality however the select-based UI is meant for a handful of icons, not for hundreds/thousands (think of a ~half stripped down original 6.4 set). Furthermore, it would be extremely cumbersome to always customize the selection again if/when I make changes to my local Icon Subset.
- Utilizing the API token and Kit to enable Pro icons, would likely also break once my subscription runs out. To reiterate, I have no plans of renewing my subscription, since I am simply looking to create a reliable locally hosted GDPR compliant setup based on FA 6.4 Pro, much like previously with FA 5.x Pro.
So clearly I am already running into multiple problems. I’ve been a big fan of this plugin in the past, but now I need to figure out a solution to these issues if I want to make the jump to FA6. With FA5 I was using all the regular/brand icons, so it’s not ideal either, and I figured it was an aspect that I could improve as I transition to FA6. By default, this problem gets worse with FA6.
It seems like the plugin doesn’t really support local hosting or Icon Subsets you create with their Pro Subsetter feature. Given the need for more carefully selected icon sets and growing concern over GDPR compliance, I would hope the plugin gets updated to better support local hosting and custom Icon Subsets. Both are well supported by FA itself. I believe the plugin has an over reliance on the API right now. I understand it has its benefits, but ideally, I wouldn’t need API tokens etc. and there would be a way to import the Icon Subset(s).
Am I missing something? I would welcome any good ideas.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.