so far i have these languages:
croatian - bhs.meetinghalfway.eu
catalan - cat.meetinghalfway.eu
german - de.meetinghalfway.eu
spanish - es.meetinghalfway.eu
turkish - tr.meetinghalfway.eu
i tested it with this story:
you can see the links to the other version in the widget on the right sidebar.
i have configured all blogs in the different languages - meaning that i have uploaded the respective .mo files to the "languages" folder and set the langueg in the "general" setup-page. (except for maltese, which does not exist as a wp-language, but that's not the problem, i tried deactivating the maltese site completely, that didn't help)
i'm also using the native dashboard plugin so that all editors can use the backsite in their prefered language. (i also tried deactivating this plugin to check if there was a conflict with that, but it didn't help)
thanks for your help - i hope i described everything in a understandable way...