WordPress.org

Forums

Legal to embed WP in 3rd party applications? (6 posts)

  1. tomld
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Hi, I am wondering under the licenses that govern wordpress if it would be possible to use a highly customized version of wordpress that is completely integrated into a third party application? Basically the idea would be to not re-invent the wheel and use the core components of WP (themes, blog structure, admin, etc). Would it be legally possible to customize WP as needed, and integrate it into a 3rd party site? If so, what legal statements and disclaimers would be required to stay with the GNU policies of WP?

  2. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

    So long as you do not sell what you are going to create (or if you do the person you sell it to is allowed to then give it away for free) , I beleive you can just go ahead.
    I think :)

  3. tomld
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Can anyone confirm or deny that?

    Basically, this customized and integrated WP version, will be a small portion of my website. The service provided by site will be available both free and paid (upgraded version is paid). However I am not selling blog hosting or blog software, again it would just be a small benefit along with the main service. Also when fully integrated, WP would be shell of its original self. Probably not even recognizable.

    Can anyone confirm or deny if my situation would allow me to customize and integrate WP into my software?

  4. tomld
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    I was reading the GPL license. Sounds like you can charge a fee for a modified version of a open source program licensed under the GNU/GPL agreement. However it also sounds like you must provide source code to anyone who wants it of your new modified software. Is this correct?

    If you fully integrate a modified WP blog system into a 3rd party site, which accounts for 10% of the sites activity, what source code would be have to reveal? How would you reveal only the modified blog system and not the other 90% of your site that integrates with the modified WP system?

  5. davidchait
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    It doesn't matter whether or not it is recognizable, btw, just whether it is there. ;)

    If you are only using the code/solution internally, there's no issue. From the FAQs:

    The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

    But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

    Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

    -d

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic