Support » Fixing WordPress » It’s all gone a bit wrong

  • Resolved jimmisavage

    (@jimmisavage)


    Hi everyone,
    I had a notification some time ago from dreamhost that some files were infected and removed but my site seemed to work okay so I ignored it.

    Today, the first time I’ve had any real time to look, it seems my first impressions were wrong. Sure, when I head to https://www.modernabstractpaintings.co.uk/ it seems to work but if I leave out the www. it doesn’t load modernabstractpaintings.co.uk/. This is also the case with the admin area – it doesn’t load at all https://www.modernabstractpaintings.co.uk/wp-admin/.

    Has anyone ever come across this before? How would I go about fixing it? I was thinking maybe I could re-upload all wp files, and then re-upload all the theme and plugin files (choosing to skip any files that already exist) but I’m a little hesitant in doing this in case it breaks the site even further.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Kind regards
    Stuart

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hi @jimmisavage,

    The reason the homepage is still working is because of the caching plugin.
    Depending on the removed files manually updating / reinstalling WordPress and plugin files could resolve it.
    Be sure to make a backup first
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress#Manual_Update

    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for that information, it’s very useful. Hopefully I’ll find a few spare minutes this weekend and update the files.

    Have a great day!
    Stuart

    jimmisavage

    (@jimmisavage)

    Hi Richard,
    I have replaced all the wp files suggested in the link you posted but I still cannot access the admin page.
    I also replaced the them files but that doesn’t seem to have made a difference either.

    Can you suggest anything else?

    Stuart

    I’ve manged to fix it. It seems my wp-config file permissions had changed and I’m also guessing some files in my plugin folder suffered the same fate.
    I changed my plugins folder to plugins-old and created a new plugins folder. The site then loaded so I knew this was where the issue was coming from.

    I then downloaded all plugins to by desktop and uploaded them 1 by 1 to find out which one was causing the issue. I’m guessing this upload must have switched the permissions back to what they should be because once all plugins we uploaded again the site worked perfectly 🙂

    Thanks for the help 🙂
    Stuart

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.