Support » Plugin: Social Metrics Tracker » Internal Server Error

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Hi adechriz,

    What version of PHP does your server use? I just removed some code which required version 5.3 of PHP, that might have been the issue. Can you try again and let me know if it works now? Version 1.0.2 of the plugin has this fix.

    hi be,

    thank you for your reply, i’m using mediatemple grid service and PHP Version 5.3.27. that’s what i got from phpinfo file. i already updating your plugin but it still filed to active 🙁

    i successfully activated your plugin on localhost, but didn’t works on my online server.

    thank you..

    Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Are you receiving any specific error message, or are you able to check the server PHP error logs to see what the error message might be?

    I’m also receiving a 500 Internal Server Error when activating.

    “Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.”

    My PHP version is 5.4.30

    I really would like to use this plugin as it seems to be the nicest version of this which I have come across yet. Hopefully it’s a minor tweak and it’ll work.

    Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Hi dzawacki,

    What web host are you using? Are you able to check your server error log to see exactly what the fatal error message was when you tried to activate the plugin? I’d like to see if I can fix the problem, but I need to get more info or be able to re-create the problem in order to fix it.

    I’m using 1and1. Unfortunately it doesn’t give me access to the server reports.

    Is there any other method than through their Control Panel that you know of that I could get the server error log?

    Okay, I found the logs. The first instance of the error for this reads: - - [30/Jul/2014:12:37:58 -0400] "GET /wp/wp-admin/plugins.php?error=true&plugin=social-metrics-tracker%2Fsocial-metrics-tracker.php<strong>&_error_nonce=1a20db7482</strong> HTTP/1.1" 200 76821 "" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36" "-"

    I don’t think it offers anything helpful and I couldn’t find a log of a 500 error, but if it helps the issue, great.

    Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Can you post the lines just above those from that log file? The first line you posted looks like what happens after the error occurs, so I’m hoping there might be another error message right above it with some information.

    The two lines above it are: – – [30/Jul/2014:12:37:56 -0400] “GET /wordpress/wp-admin/plugins.php?action=activate&plugin=social-metrics-tracker%2Fsocial-metrics-tracker.php&plugin_status=all&paged=1&s&_wpnonce=edbe621519 HTTP/1.1” 200 191 “; “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.125 Safari/537.36” “-“ – – [30/Jul/2014:12:37:57 -0400] “POST /wordpress/wp-cron.php?doing_wp_cron=1406738277.0189540386199951171875 HTTP/1.0” 200 – “-” “WordPress/3.9.1;; “-“

    The line before these two takes place 20 seconds before, so I’m assuming it’s unrelated.

    Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Hmm, is that from the “Access Log” or the “Error Log”? It looks like that’s just a log of the pages which were loaded and it doesn’t have any information about why activating the plugin failed. If there is another log called “Error log” it might have a more helpful error message, but I’m not sure.

    I just published version 1.1.0 of the plugin which has some new features. I don’t think that it will fix the issue, but try it out and see if by chance it does fix things. If it’s still not working, I can take a closer look at your server if you’d like. Email me at if you want me to log in and see if I can take a look.

    It’s the access log. I guess I hoped to find an error message in the access log.

    I don’t have access to the error log it looks like.

    Same Internal Server Error when I tried to activate the plugin with the new version. I’m going to try the plugin on another install with a different host and I’ll report back.

    Okay, so the plugin worked on a different install location.

    After trying the new version on the orignal post, I did get a Fatal Error message from within WordPress:

    Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 35389440) (tried to allocate 36 bytes) in /htdocs/wordpress/wp-includes/query.php on line 3407

    Not sure if this is helps with your debugging as it’s an WordPress file.

    Plugin Author Ben Cole


    Hmm, that error message tells us the server is running out of memory when you try to activate the plugin. I Googled “wordpress out of memory when activating plugin” and found a bunch of people who have similar issues with 1 and 1 hosting. Some folks were able to resolve the issue by using php.ini or .htaccess to increase the memory limit for PHP, while others said that 1 and 1 imposes strict memory limits that cannot be increased.

    See if you can increase the memory limit for PHP on your server, that might help. Deleting un-used WP plugins might also help, but not necessarily.

    Yes, I’ve known about the memory issue with 1and1 for a long time now. Only recently did I discover a fix for it, but it still is limited to 80M. I’m going to try to up it, just for kicks.

    Also, I currently only have plugins I’m using installed. These are the bare minimum plugins for my site as well.

    Upping the memory allowance didn’t help. I tried deactivating some of the plugins and it still won’t activate.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Internal Server Error’ is closed to new replies.