Note: in this example, I am using wp38 as the name for the database and folder; you can use whatever you want, just make sure there are no spaces.
With MAMP running (both servers "in the green"):
- from the MAMP panel, click Open start page
- click phpMyAdmin
- click the Databases tab
- in the Create database field, enter wp38 then Create
- create a new folder in Applications/MAMP/htdocs and name it wp38
- copy the contents of the extracted WP download into this folder
- there should now be 20 items in the wp38 folder: 3 folders, 15 PHP files, 1 TXT file and 1 HTML file
- enter http://localhost:8888/wp38 to start the install
- at the first screen, click the Create Configuration File button
- at the next screen, click Let's go!
- at the next screen enter:
-- Database Name:wp38
-- User Name:root
-- Database Host:localhost
-- Table Prefix:wp_
- click Submit
- at the next screen click Run the install
- at the next screen, fill out as required
- REMEMBER: the Username and Password you enter HERE, is for the WP Admin Log in. This is what you will use to get to the Dashboard of your WP site.
- for local installs, I un-check the Privacy option
- click Install WordPress
- at the next screen (Success!), click Log In and use the credentials you just entered.