Support » Plugin: WP Search with Algolia » Impossible to connect, please check your Algolia Application Id.

  • I’m getting an error: Impossible to connect, please check your Algolia Application Id.

    I even created a new application and updated the credentials. However it continues to tell me it can’t connect.

    How can I debug this?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plugin Author Michael Beckwith

    (@tw2113)

    The BenchPresser

    Hey Jon,

    At least at the moment, it looks and feels like the API is for some reason not reachable and/or blocked for some reason. However, at the same time, it doesn’t seem to be catching any possible thrown exceptions within the list of hosts its set to try. Reading this from includes/libraries/algoliasearch-client-php/src/RetryStrategy/ApiWrapper.php starting around line 120.

    May or may not have some log items, at least if logging is presently enabled.

    Looking at their status page, I don’t see any API outages and it would seem odd that this could be the case. https://status.algolia.com/

    Maybe it’s something related to my local host hostname that’s causing an issue since it can’t actually be reached from the interwebs?

    Rolling back to version 1.3.0 fixes the issue above that I mentioned, so I think it’s something in the 1.4.0 release.

    Plugin Author Richard Aber

    (@richaber)

    Howdy @jdingman,

    I’m not currently seeing any issues connecting to the API with version 1.4.0 in my local development environment, which is also not accessible from the interwebs.

    Could there be a proxy involved? That could cause issues, as the plugin does not currently support proxies.

    I’m using LocalWP for my development environment, no proxy that I’m aware of.

    @richaber I’ve yet to upgrade again since it stops working in 1.4, any suggestions how else I can debug the issue?

    Any updates to this? I can’t upgrade my plugin to the latest because it breaks the connection, really hoping to get a resolution

    Thanks!

    Plugin Author Richard Aber

    (@richaber)

    Howdy @jdingman,

    We haven’t been able to reproduce the issue.

    It may have been a momentary hiccup on the remote API end, have you tested upgrading again just to see?

    If it still doesn’t work when you test upgrading again, then perhaps more information about your local environment setup would be helpful?

    You could go to Tools -> Site Health -> Info and click the “Copy site info to clipboard” button, then paste it into a gist or something so it can be shared with us.

    It happens each time that I upgrade the plugin.

    I’m using LocalWP for my environment

    Here is my Site Health output

    https://gist.github.com/dingman/3383e0b0a569fec6dd1ac3b41dba9ce2 (will delete after issue is resolved)

    Plugin Author Richard Aber

    (@richaber)

    Thank you @jdingman, I’ve made a copy of it locally, if you’re concerned about leaving the gist up.

    Plugin Author Richard Aber

    (@richaber)

    Howdy @jdingman, is there any chance that there is an error like this in the server’s php error log?

    cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate (see http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)

    I did a search in my webserver folder via egrep, but nothing found for that error. Also reviewed the error logs, nothing for that.

    I can access my site over SSL through a locally trusted SSL cert via LocalWP, but I certainly could see how that might be an issue based on what you’re describing.

    What’s next?

    Plugin Author Richard Aber

    (@richaber)

    Howdy @jdingman

    I’ve opened a GitHub issue to track this here https://github.com/WebDevStudios/wp-search-with-algolia/issues/87

    I have a strong suspicion that cURL is failing to connect to the Algolia servers, based on reports that I have read from Laravel Scout and Algolia PHP Client users.

    It _might_ be possible to overcome the issue by installing a certificate on the server and updating the php.ini to use that certificate, again, I can’t actually test and verify that myself as I do not have a Windows machine to test that on.

    More details are in the GitHub issue. If you have any more information that could prove useful, and if you have a GitHub account, feel free to add more information there.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.