Support » Fixing WordPress » Import fails

  • I want to merge three different sites into one but when I try to import posts are missing.

    I have three sites on a multisite installation

    I want to merge these into one site, I’ve made a new temporary site on another domain (the resulting site will however be, the temporary site is just so I can catch errors and make mistakes without affecting the main site). I then export the content off to my laptop and then import it into the new domain.

    On there are 564 posts, 2 pages and 784 images

    When I import It never seems to finish, I just see the sidebar but nothing is visible in the content area.

    After the import is complete (??? I’m just waiting for a long time since there is no indication of when the import is complete – or if any problems have happened) there are 486 posts, 2 pages and 784 images. Appr 80 posts are missing.

    I’ve tried this several times and the number of posts imported varies a bit (smallest number was 10) but it seems like there are always posts missing. Any idea what could be the problem and how to fix it?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hi skromta,

    I would say that problem maybe caused by the limited resources on your server. If I had to complete this task, I would probably replicate the main site to local webserver on my PC, then imported other two sites locally and once everything tested, I would move it to live server.

    Yes, that sounds reasonable … but unfortunately it opens up a new problem. and my temporary domain all uses the same server (I assume, some hosting account and they seem to place all sites for one customer on the same server). This would mean that when I want to move it to I would probably get the same problem – even more so since that last move would contain even more data.

    Is there some way of handling this? Is it possible to split an exported file in some way and do the import in stages? … OK, I found a splitter script ( that I’ll try.



    Did the splitter script work? Anyway, when I was talking about replicating the site on the local server and moving it back to live server, I was working with assumption, that once the site is working locally you would FTP the files over, reimport database using for example PhpMyAdmin, so you wouldn’t definitely face this problem as you would be using completely different way of importing data. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

    The splitter did work as expected (after having removed a ‘\t’ in one line). Yes, I was thinking of copying the database but this worked so I think I’ll use the same method the next time.

    Thanks once again.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Import fails’ is closed to new replies.