WordPress.org

Forums

Autoptimize
[resolved] Sliders are no longer showing? (10 posts)

  1. P3Designs
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Hi futtta!
    Firstly I think this is a great plugin and thanks for making it available, however I am having some trouble getting it to work on my site. When the JS box is ticked and activated, my sliders no longer appear on my site. The css works fine, html is not ticked. But the javascript one is causing issues. I am using revolution slider and nivo slider. Any tips? I would love to be able to have the JS files reduced.

    Thanks in advance!
    - Daniel
    Site in question: p3designs.com.au

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/autoptimize/

  2. Frank Goossens
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 9 months ago #

    If images disappear, you're using a lazy load plugin. You'll have to tweak Autoptimize's setting to exclude the lazy-load javascript (and probably jquery as well) from being optimized.

    hope this helps,
    frank

  3. P3Designs
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Hey Frank,
    Thanks for the prompt response. I edited my question, so I'm not sure which version you saw but I figured it's the revolution & nivo sliders which are not showing, all other images are showing as normal.

    Would it still be a lazy load issue? Is there a way I can find out which scripts are causing an issue?

    Thanks again!
    - Daniel

  4. Frank Goossens
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 9 months ago #

    ah, saw the one without the sliders mentioned. not a lazy load issue indeeed, but a slider issue. try with "force in head" first maybe, else you'll have to indeed exclude the slider's JS (and jquery).

  5. P3Designs
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Yeah sorry I should've probably just added another comment. Lol
    So I ticked the box for 'Add try-catch wrapping' and that fixed this revolution slider situation, so that's working now.

    I added 'jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js' to the exclusion list however it's still not showing. Any other tweaks in mind?

  6. Frank Goossens
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 9 months ago #

    well, also exclude jquery OR (maybe just) tick "force JS in head"?

  7. P3Designs
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    As in exclude all jquery you mean? How would I do that?
    Also, I just tried the "force JS in head" feature and it did work, the nivo slider is showing, but now my page speed score for the following is F. Lol can't win. :)

    Defer parsing of JavaScript
    F (38)
    63%
    JS High
    What does this mean?
    361.0KiB of JavaScript is parsed during initial page load. Defer parsing JavaScript to reduce blocking of page rendering.

    http://www.p3designs.com.au/wp-content/cache/autoptimize/autoptimize_55224b56bfa86ccc5c8262b32d6955f6.js (359.4KiB)
    http://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?v=3.5&sensor=true&ver=1.0.0 (1.6KiB)
    http://www.p3designs.com.au/ (95B of inline JavaScript)

  8. Frank Goossens
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 9 months ago #

    As in exclude all jquery you mean? How would I do that?

    add
    jquery.js
    to the comma-seperated exclusions list.

    Defer parsing of JavaScript
    What does this mean?

    Well, by default AO puts all JS at the very end of the HTML with a defer flag, allowing it to be loaded and executed after the initial page has rendered. But if you "force into head" to ensure compatibility with some javascript which does not like to be deferred, this obviously is no longer the case.

  9. P3Designs
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Ok great thanks for that. After some playing around I found that enabling 'Add try-catch wrapping' worked and both the revolution and nivo sliders are working...just needed to clear the cache.

    Thanks for your assistance and again for putting out a great plugin! :P

  10. modus
    Member
    Posted 1 month ago #

    Just some findings I can share: excluding content, thumbnails and text-widgets from lazyloading (I use BJ Lazy Load) already did the trick for me. Imho it doesn't make much sense to delay the rendering of content or pure text, anyway. At first I didn't think about that at all, because it seemed to work well with the default settings. The problems only showed up later in the rare case of a post containing a small gif thumbnail, that got base64 encoded by Autoptimize. So I'd recommend to check your lazy load or other conflicting script's settings first. But your mileage may as well vary.

    Anyway: praised be Frank and Autoptimize! It was the first plugin of its kind that just worked out of the box for me, while all others were throwing errors like hell. This thing is robust. Thanks a lot.

Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

  • Autoptimize
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic