[Resolved] Image/Media Uploader problem, uploads to wp-admin folder
Like many other people, I am having problems with the new media uploader in 2.5. Unlike many others, I am not receiving errors, and I think I am having a different problem.
I am using 2.5.1, with the 1.0-RC6 version of K2, if anyone thinks that matters. I have two 2.5.1 installs of WordPress on different servers. One is on a VPS running Debian, and that version works fine, I can upload images without any problems.
The other install is hosted on a standard shared web hosting package at Network Solutions. On this install, I can upload images, but after they have uploaded, I cannot see any thumbnails, and if I insert the image into a post, it generates a broken link.
I have WordPress installed in the root of my website, and the upload folder is standard(wp-content/uploads), but when I FTP into my site, no files have been added in that directory.
After much digging, I have found the files are being uploaded, but they are in wp-admin/wp-content/uploads. No matter what I do, or how I edit my upload path, the files are uploaded somewhere in my wp-admin directory.
Because the working and non-working 2.5.1 WordPress installs are nearly identical aside from the web host, I am inclined to blame Network Solutions. NetSol has been responsible for several other problems for me, and they seem to require non-standard code and practices far too often.
I followed all Otto42’s suggestions in the sticky post:
1. I have done a couple of reinstalls without any changes.
2. I have cleared my browser’s cache, and WordPress’ cache. I have tried to use the media uploader in both OSX and Windows, using Safari, Firefox, and IE; and my mileage does not seem to vary much regardless of which browser or OS I use.
3. Using the latest version.
4. I didn’t have this problem, but many problems seem to be the result of plugin conflicts, so I have disables all of my plugins, and tried the uploader, with no change.
5. I am not using this plugin, but here is a list of the plugins that I am using:
Add Lightbox, Akismet, Auto-hyperlink URLs, Brian’s Latest Comments, Comments Notifier, Google XML Sitemaps, Lightbox 2, No Flash Uploader, StatPress, WP-phpBB, WP YouTube
But as I said, disabling these doesn’t change anything for me.
6. Seemed like other people used this to resolve errors that they were having, I am having no errors, but I triedd this anyways; no change.
7. My test images were 300×300 px, and 90×90 px.
8. They were both regular old RGB JPGs, they each worked fine with the functioning WordPress install, neither worked with the broken install.
9. I can’t get far enough for this to be a problem!
No-Flash-Uploader: The uploader seemed to work okay aside from uploading the file to the wrong location. I don’t think I need to disable it, but I did anyways, just to isolate my problem.
I have also messed around with the chmod settings of my directories, but this didn’t have much affect.
A search reveals that there are other users having this problem too, but none seem to have solved it.
This problem seems to be different than the other media uploader problems, and it really seems like if might have something to do with how the site is hosted?
I’d be interested in hearing what other people with this problem are using for hosting.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why WordPress wants to upload files to my wp-admin directory?
I’d be happy to provide more information if it is needed, or tryout anything that might fix this problem.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] Image/Media Uploader problem, uploads to wp-admin folder’ is closed to new replies.