Support » Plugin: PHP Browser Detection » IE8 XP on BrowserStack Showing as version 0.0

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    I’ve also tried this on a Virtual Machine running IE8 XP and it’s still not working as expected.

    Plugin Author Mindshare Labs, Inc.

    (@mindshare)

    Are you certain you have the latest version or the plugin? We’ll test on our end when can.

    Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    There’s no updates available that I can see, I’m running Version: 3.1.8 on WP 4.3.1

    Unfortunately I don’t have a native XP machine running IE8 to test on for total certainty, but both methods I’ve tried aren’t working and still showing the version number as 0.0, where all other browsers are giving the correct version number.

    I’ve even added the detection as the first script that runs in header.php, just in case it was conflicting with anything else. IE7 on XP and IE8 on Win7 are still behaving as expected.

    Plugin Author Mindshare Labs, Inc.

    (@mindshare)

    I verified it is working correctly today, you can see a screenshot here of it properly detecting IE 8: http://i.imgur.com/H9hsMhI.png

    So the issue must be something particular to your theme, code, caching plugins, etc.

    Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    Thanks for your reply and for looking into this for me.

    As suggested, I have created a clean install of WP 4.3.1 with no plugins, using the 2015 theme. I am still getting 0.0 in just IE8 XP:

    http://i.imgur.com/i3SheSP.png

    These are the same results I’m seeing in BrowserStack and using the official Microsoft Virtual Machine build.

    I notice that your results are displaying WinVista, which I wouldn’t expect to see from an XP install?

    I’m Stebin from BrowserStack. I’m getting in touch regarding your concern with Windows XP – IE 8.

    I checked the issue further on a local Win XP – IE 8 with WordPress using PHP browser detection plugin v3.1.8. I was able to replicate the issue on the local machine as well where get_browser_version(); gives ‘0.0’ in the string.

    I have shared a screenshot for reference: http://s21.postimg.org/d7yffkjfr/local_ie8.png

    Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    Hi Stebin,

    Thanks for testing that out for me on a local machine, glad it’s not just me that’s found that issue.

    Plugin Author Mindshare Labs, Inc.

    (@mindshare)

    Thanks for the clarifications. We are simply including a standard version of the Browscap.ini file so in order to have this addressed you can try to report the problem to the Browscap team on their GitHub repo: https://github.com/browscap/browscap/issues

    Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    I reported this issue as suggested, it seems that your plugin is using an out of date version of Browscap. I have updated manually and it has fixed the issue.

    You can see the discussion here: https://github.com/browscap/browscap/issues/829

    Thanks for your help!

    Plugin Author Mindshare Labs, Inc.

    (@mindshare)

    Oh right! We have re-enabled automatic updates for the Browscap file but they are turned off by default in the current version of the plugin. I forgot about this, we’ll get a new release out to address it, thank you for the follow up.

    Thread Starter JFK1980

    (@jfk1980)

    No problem, glad to be of help. Excellent plugin, very useful!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘IE8 XP on BrowserStack Showing as version 0.0’ is closed to new replies.