I use wp as a blog/cms and the content on my site is regularly referred to for reference material. The problem with wp is that the search is crap (sorry, love wp!), a high volume (daily) aren’t finding what they need.
Soo…I need a search engine. I checked out Google, Yahoo, MSN (their add search to your website feature) and they’re crap too. Not only are ads all over the search page, they do a good job pushing your traffic away from your blog to their site–which then directs your traffic to other websites. And to top it off, not all of your pages show up in their site search index (so again–a good percentage of content isn’t being found by my users).
I’ve checked out many other free options, but most are hosted 3rd party (off your website). I don’t want anyone snooping through my logs, so I want the search engine to be hosted on my site. Plus a lot of advertising is being displayed on the search results pages, advertising I have no control over.
So what I’m wanting:
- A self-hosted search engine
- One that will spider the blog daily on an automated scheduled
- One that can safely be used on a busy site, shared host package–meaning it’s not resource intensive that it will take your site down when it’s spidering
- Can easily integrate the search results into my theme/template
- Somehow be able to spider all the content initially, then a way to remove all the category and archive pages (so just the individual posts will show up in the search results). Ideally I’d love a complete indexing job at first, then just spidering the front page (and the new posts it links to) to add to the master index.
- Script needs to be secure without 777 permissions so that I don’t put my site or other sites on the shared server at risk.
- Is a good search engine and will have no trouble showing the appropriate results
I don’t want software that I have to run from my computer daily, I want a script package that will be hosted and self-contained on the server.
I’m willing to pay cash for this (not more than $150-$200), if it works right and doesn’t take down my site for being too resource heavy.
Anyone know of a good search engine that will fit my needs?
- The topic ‘I Need A Search Engine For WP – Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.