Support » Fixing WordPress » I messed up my wife's site somehow…

  • My wife has a blog that she asked me to set up. Long-story-short, a file got messed up or something because when I try to log in I get the following error message:

    rue() * @return bool false */ function __return_false() { return false; } /** * Returns 0 * * Useful for returning 0 to filters easily * * @since 3.0.0 * @see __return_zero() * @return int 0 */ function __return_zero() { return 0; } /** * Returns an empty array * * Useful for returning an empty array to filters easily * * @since 3.0.0 * @see __return_zero() * @return array Empty array */ function __return_empty_array() { return array(); } /** * Send a HTTP header to disable content type sniffing in browsers which support it. * * @link * @link * * @since 3.0.0 * @return none */ function send_nosniff_header() { @header( 'X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff' ); } /** * Returns a MySQL expression for selecting the week number based on the start_of_week option. * * @internal * @since 3.0.0 * @param string $column * @return string */ function _wp_mysql_week( $column ) { switch ( $start_of_week = (int) get_option( 'start_of_week' ) ) { default : case 0 : return "WEEK( $column, 0 )"; case 1 : return "WEEK( $column, 1 )"; case 2 : case 3 : case 4 : case 5 : case 6 : return "WEEK( DATE_SUB( $column, INTERVAL $start_of_week DAY ), 0 )"; } } ?> @return string */ function callback($matches) { $index = intval(substr($matches[0], 9, -1)); return ( isset( $this->_matches[$index] ) ? urlencode($this->_matches[$index]) : '' ); } } ?> e constructor, PHP5 * already calls __destruct() */ register_shutdown_function(array(&$this, "__destruct")); } /** * Will save the object cache before object is completely destroyed. * * Called upon object destruction, which should be when PHP ends. * * @since 2.0.8 * * @return bool True value. Won't be used by PHP */ function __destruct() { return true; } } ?>
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sugarsti/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php:4328) in /home/sugarsti/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

    Looking at her blog Sugarsticks Parties Blog the header information looks all messed up somehow.

    She was trying to edit her subscription list plugin. It was conflicting with something else and then we tried to run the update. I had backed up all the files in her wordpress directory like I figure I am supposed to before an update and… well… nothing has worked. The update didn’t fix the plugin, backpeddling on the subscription plugin version seemed to have messed up the site to be unreadable. I wiped the directory and restored from the backup and it still wasn’t looking right. I tried installing the 3.0.1 update manually and managed to get it to the ugly point it is now.

    I do not know programming languages beyond old QBasic. I do not want to be in this position and have only a basic idea of what’s wrong. I do not understand why restoring from backup didn’t work and really need some help written for an old-timer who understands most of the concepts, if not how to execute it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Moderator James Huff


    Try manually resetting your plugins. If that resolves the issue, reactivate each one individually until you find the cause.

    I cannot get to the wp-admin screen. It doesn’t even bring up a login box. If you try the website above, and go to the wp-admin subdirectory, you will see the message I posted above.

    Ok, I see what you are saying, let me check it out.

    I edited that field and I still cannot get to the login box.

    I tried both the phpMyAdmin and the ‘create an empty directory’ method. No change.

    I just checked the section of that troubleshooting guide labelled :
    How do I solve the Headers already sent warning problem?

    And it seems the files I downloaded FROM wordpress don’t follow the rule about ending with ?>. In the original downloaded file, the wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php file doesn’t end with the ?> characters. It seems to break in the middle an endif statement.

    Checking the original backup, that same file ends the same way.

    Reading the exact error message: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/sugarsti/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php:4328) in /home/sugarsti/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

    I looked at line 4328 of the file functions.php and that file ends at line 4300.

    I followed the instructions about deleting all characters after the end of the files that were causing the errors (functions.php in the above post) and that seems to let me log in. An extra carriage return was added to the files somehow (I never edited them, I am not that proficient). That seems to let me log in.

    Now I’ll figure out how to re-add the plugins. Thanks for the help.

    Moderator James Huff


    You’re welcome!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘I messed up my wife's site somehow…’ is closed to new replies.