Support » Plugin: Hummingbird – Optimize Speed, Enable Cache, Minify CSS & Defer Critical JS » Hummingbird causing 502 “Too many redirect” errors
Since the 3.1.1 update, Hummingbird has been causing 502 “Too many redirect” errors on my site. I’ve tried disabling as many features as I can to see if I can localize the problem, but no luck. If Hummingbird is enabled, the 500 or 502 errors start.
Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated.
The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]
I hope you’re well today!
Hummingbird doesn’t include any features that are supposed to cause any redirects so that would have to be some sort of a “side effect” of, most likely, some kind of a conflict.
But it requires more troubleshooting to identify it. Please try following steps:
1. First, enable WordPress debugging with logging to the file
To do this, add following lines to the “wp-config.php” file of the site, right above the “/* That’s all, stop editing */” line:
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true ); define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false ); define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
2. Then if there’s any server-side cache, clear it
3. And enable Hummingbird again; I understand that the issue happens on front-end mostly and you are still able to operate within wp-admin area right?
If so, first go to “Hummingbird -> Dashboard” page and click on “Clear cache” there, make sure that all checkboxes are checked in popup that shows up then and clear all caches.
4. Then disable Page Cache in Hummingbird if it was enabled
5. and then disable Asset Optimization.
If none of those errors/redirects is happening, try enabling Asset Optimization again but make sure to re-check files (it should check them once you enable option back but if it doesn’t, click on “re-check files” button.
If after that redirects/errors are still not happening, try enabling Page Cache again.
If the issues are back, disable Hummingbird so you could use the site but regardless of whether they back or not please, after completing above steps, check /wp-content/ folder on your server for the file named “debug.log”. If it’s there, download it please and share with.
To do so, simply upload it to your Google Drive, Dropbox or similar account and post direct link to it in your response.
Note: you may want to take a look inside that file first to make sure that there are no any sensitive information such as e.g. some e-mail addresses or passwords or API keys included; usually there are not but it’s better to make sure.
Hopefully results of that test together with a look into issues logged by WordPress in debug.log file will help us diagnose the problem so we could get it solve.
I followed your instructions, but no debug.log file was generated. The 500 errors returned shortly after I re-enabled Hummingbird. I found /wp-content/wphb-logs/caching-debug.log and /wp-content/wphb-logs/api-debug.log. So, not sure how to proceed from here.
Hello @macadk !
I hope all is well.
I have a potential guess for this issue, based on the fact that there was no debug.log created, that would lead me to think it’s maybe an Out of Memory error in this case, as it’s a common thing.
Usually PHP setups have default values which may be too small for WordPress to run and it may be that installing Hummingbird may have simply tripped the issue since Hummingbird needs some additional memory to process things on your site.
I’d suggest to try out the following solution by creating an .user.ini file in the root directory of the site (same as where wp-config is located) and put the following lines there:
max_execution_time = 300 memory_limit = 512M
Please note the file name needs to have a . in front. If the file already exists, please edit the appropriate lines there.
If needed, you can give it more memory, maybe 1024M, although in most cases 512M should be more than enough.
Since we haven’t heard from you for a while. I’ll mark this thread as resolved for now. Please feel free to re-open the thread if you need further assistance.
Still having issues. I’ve been trying to manually optimize assets, but it’s a nightmare. Every time I try anything the site starts throwing 500s. I’m losing hope of ever getting this sorted…
I just saw Pawel’s post, so I’ve gone into php.ini on my server and made the suggested adjustments. I set the memory limit to 1024M since I could, and the max_execution_time to 300 as suggested. We shall see if this improves things at all. More to come…
Thank you for the update,
In case the issue persists, the next troubleshooting test is a plugin conflict test by following this flow:
Make sure to have a Full backup or run it on a Staging website.
- The topic ‘Hummingbird causing 502 “Too many redirect” errors’ is closed to new replies.