I have a problem regarding special characters that are appearing messed up on the front-end . mainly the get converted to question marks, or something like �?)
Example - Frédèric becomes Fr�d�ric.
some facts that made me puzzled:
- This WP install is on LOCAL machine, and shares the server with at
least 40 other installs - none of which have this problem.
- This WP install shares also the same DB as the others .
- My wp-config file has the collate and charset defined.
- The DB seems fine , because when I am viewing the post in the EDITOR (back end) - all is correct , the problem is only on the FRONT end .
- The DB seems fine (2) , opening the post in phpMyAdmin and checking the direct value - all characters are fine .
- This problem is NOT a browser/os encoding , it was checked in 4
different machines, 3 OS, and 9 browsers..
I have tried all the solutions which I know from past experience, which include :
- checking the wp-config (it is ok, utf-8 defined, collate ok)
- Checking the DB - all UTF-8
- checking my header (
<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>) - that renders correctly as utf-8 with valid markup.
- Open all theme files in my editor, convert encoding to UTF-8 without bom and save.
Did i missed something ? Any Ideas ??