Dear colleagues.- I do not see the permalinks with mod_rewrite. Before activating Options-Permalink and getting the bunch of code, i have made these steps. When i try to see the permalinks the 404 error appears: “The requested URL /wordpress/archives/category/zope/” was not found on this server. Tell me please where i am wrong.
0. I have taken a look at WordPress FAQ “How do i turn on permalinks…”, http://home.no.net/identity/lost/tech/000105.php and other stuff…
1. I have pasted the generated code in Kate and saved it like simple text and with the name htaccess (not .htaccess).
1.5. SSH connection with my server and in the console mode: “touch .htaccess”, after creating the empty file:
2. I have uploaded it to my server with SFTP
2.5. In the console mode: “mv htaccess .htaccess”
3. In the console mode: “cat .htaccess” (everything OK)
3. I have CHMODed it with the 766 code-number.
3.5. In the wordpress directory: “ls -la .htaccess” and i see it CHMODed.
4. I have done “cat .htaccess” again in the console and checked it. Everything OK. The only doubt: the path in RewriteBase and RewriteRules. I put “/wordpress/…” and after doing it “/home/www/wordpress/…”, using VI editor. Seeing the code with “cat” and seeing the two signs of breaking line (the second one is the letter M), the permalink does not work for me (not from my Ethernet, neither from Internet as i suppose).
5. My URI is
Possible errors made by me:
0- Should i put the whole path in the RewriteBase and RewriteRules lines , i.e. something like the whole public IP?
1. Should i delete the two signs for breaking lines with VI editor? When i save the code with Kate is just ASCII code?
I know that there is a problem with the path (Error number: 404), but i do not guess where is it. Should i do something in Apache httpd.config or other file for switching off that file in favour of .htaccess?
Thanking you in advance.
- The topic ‘.htaccess and permalinks: Error 404’ is closed to new replies.