How to stop the Alphabetical Sorting of Menu
I’m not familiar with that them, so here are a couple of general observations.
Question number 1:
I take it you’re referring to the main navigation menu and that you are using the default menu (i.e. that you have not defined a menu yourself). If that is the case, you need to define a custom menu. When you do that, you can order your items in any way you like.
Once you’ve defined your custom menu, you need to set it as the Primary Navigation menu.
All this is done via Dashboard –> Appearance –> Menus
If you don’t know how to do any of this, please just ask.
Do you mean you want to disallow comments? If so, edit the Post/Page in question and click on the “Screen Options” tab (at top left). In the area that opens up, check the “Discussion” checkbox (not the “Comments” checkbox, confusingly) and a “Discussion” section will open up below the edit box for your Post/Page. This section contains a “Allow Comments” checkbox, which you should uncheck on all Posts/Pages where you don’t want users to be able to leave comments.
Do you mean that you want to remove the categories themselves or do you mean that you want to remove the “Categories” item from the sidebar (or wherever it might be in your theme)?
If you mean the former, you go to Dashboard –> Posts –> Categories; but note that you cannot remove the default “Uncategorized” [sic] category.
If you mean the latter, and assuming your theme behaves in the usual way, you need to go to Dashboard –> Widgets and drag the “Categories” widget from whatever widget area it is in, into either the “Available” or “Inactive” area, depending on your needs.
Again, I take it you want to get rid of the search box that’s appearing somewhere in your theme. Assuming this theme behaves in the normal way, you would remove it exactly like you remove the “Categories” widget, as I describe above.
If I’ve misunderstood any of your questions, my apologies. Please feel free to clarify.
And if you’re not sure how to do any of the stuff I’ve mentioned, please just post again and I’ll try to be more specific.
Hi peredur, thanks for helping. However, some problems are not solved yet. Here is my website:
I want my menu bar to look like this: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8784/chiio.png
And it won’t let me custom my Menu bar the way I want it – It keeps sorting alphabetically – http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3932/menujr.png
Also, how do I take out everything in sidebar?
Let’s forget the sidebar for the minute until we’ve got the menu sorted.
You seem to have created five menus. You want one menu with the items added to it. Take a look at this:
That’s what your Dashboard –> Appearance –> Menus page should look like.
You then need to make that menu your Primary Navigation menu.
Here’s how to do it:
- On the Dashboard –> Appearance –> Menus page, start off by getting rid of all the menus you’ve defined unless you’re using them for something else
- Now create a single menu called ‘main-nav’ or something meaningful for you and click on the ‘Save Menu’ button. You’ve now created a menu with no menu items attached, but you will see that various options are now available on the page
- Firstly, you should see a sub-panel called ‘Theme Locations’ with a dropdown list labeled ‘Primary Navigation’. Open this dropdown and select your menu from the list (i.e. ‘main-nav’ if that’s what you’ve called your menu)
- Now check out the ‘Pages’ sub-panel. It should contain a list of all your Pages (Pages, remember, not posts). Check the ones you want on the menu and click on the ‘Add to Menu’ button. The pages will now be added to the menu and you will see them listed in the main panel
- To get the menu items in the correct order, you can drag and drop them around. When you’re happy, click on ‘Save Menu’
- If you have any category lists, you can add these to the menu by doing the same thing with the ‘Categories’ sub-panel (i.e. select them, add them, move them about and save the menu)
- If you just have one list page (i.e. a blog page or a news page or something) you will need to create a blank page for it unless you want it to be your front page; but you shouldn’t add that blank page to the menu
- Now go to Dashboard –> Settings –> Reading
- Set the front page to be a ‘Static Page’, unless you want it to be your single blog list page, by checking the appropriate check box, and select the page you want as your front page from the list.
- If you want a blog/news page that is not the site front page, select it in the ‘Posts Page’ dropdown list (this is the blank page you created but did not add to the menu)
- If you want your latest posts on the front page you can leave all these settings at their default values, with ‘Your latest posts’ ticked
- Make sure everything is saved and you should be OK to go
See how you get on with that and let me know.
Ok thanks peredur, I did what you said but my menu bar looks weird.
This is how my website looks like now:
The first 5 tabs (Home/FAQ/Rules/Sweepstakes/Freebies) are right but the others are extras. How can I get rid of them?
This is how Menu in my admin page look like:
Another question – How can I keep a setting of everything in my wordpress now (layout, pages…etc) just in case I want to copy them to another wordpress blog?
Also, how can I edit and change the background image & colors?
Oops ignore my last post… my question was how to edit the font type/size on each post/page?
Can you show me an image of what your Dashboard –> Settings –> Reading page looks like?
- The topic ‘How to stop the Alphabetical Sorting of Menu’ is closed to new replies.