WordPress.org

Forums

[resolved] How to import without merging? (6 posts)

  1. edir
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I got a serious problem importing WP to WP, the import method used by WordPress merge the categories and this breaks my import. I'm using it as a CMS store and have hierarchical categories, some with the same name but in other levels.

    How do I import all the content, creating new categories?

  2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I've imported 50+ categories before now and haven't lost a single one.

  3. edir
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    @esmmi, probably any of theses categories had the same name "slug". In my case I got it merged. The categories is like that:

    WP1
    Rock
    - Bass Heads
    - Snear Heads

    WP2 content to import to WP1
    Jazz
    - Bass Heads
    - Snear Heads

    When imported, it merges the categories with the same name and I got this:

    After import
    Rock
    - Bass Heads
    - Snear Heads
    Jazz

  4. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I'm fairly sure that the sample data import contains at least 1 (or more) similar category trees specifically to test for this kind of issue. I've used that import file a number of times and I've not had any merges.

  5. edir
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I made a test with this sample and got the same error. If you want, try this:

    These are the original categories on the file:
    aciform
    - sub
    Parent
    - Child 1
    - - Child 2

    Before import, create these categories:
    UniqueXYZ
    - sub
    - Child 1
    - - Child 2

    Now put some posts inside the new categories just to check after and now import the file. You will got this kind of categories after import.

    aciform
    Parent
    UniqueXYZ
    - sub
    - Child 1
    - - Child 2

    See, you loose the relation between sub, Child 1 and Child 2.

  6. edir
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I found a ticket on Bug Trac, more than one year ago, it's a deffect. I made a workaround renaming all the categories before import as "... i1, ... i2, ... i3, ...", to make everything unique and rename it again to remove the "i..." after import the content. It's not a solution but works.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags