Instead of starting a new post, I'm going to continue pulling out my hair here and hope that someone has the answers.
Following all the information I could gather about importing into WP using the import-mt.php script, I laid out the data into an "import.txt" file with eight-dash record dividers and 5-dash field dividers, like this format:
I don't know if I need the \n but this is per the instructions given at Moveable Type - Import and Carthik's Moveable Type to WordPress instructions.
There were 65 posts in the import file, which made the total file size almost 2 megs, so I did a smaller test file of 3 posts, making it a 62K file.
I ran the WP v1.5 import-mt.php file and everything looked wonderful, following all the instructions. I hit the "Let's Go" and it said it worked. Lovely. I had three entries add to the database. The titles of the tree entries were listed perfectly. I click the next link to go to the site and there is nothing but an entry for the title of the third post in the file with no content. I click on it and it says "not found".
I checked the database and its the same.
So I started over with the import-mt.php file from scriptygoddess, per other instructions within the support forums, and that got me no where but with an error just activating the import-mt.php file. So I reuploaded the latest v1.5 import-mt file and tried it again with the same results - says three posts loaded, only the title of the third one shows up with no data.
I have html code in the file under BODY: which I'm told will be "escaped out" and ignored by the conversion. I've been through these three entries with a fine tooth comb and have played around with it a bit with the same results.
So questions are:
1. Any idea on what might be wrong and how to fix it? If I had an error, this would be simple, but there is no error.
2. Which import-mt.php should I go with - the one with the nightlies or scriptygoddess?
3. Do I need the \n line break inside of the data or not? Am I missing something in the formatting?
4. Is there a specific order to the mt file, like title, body, comment, excerpt...or comment, excerpts, title, body... or will the import-mt figure it out by itself?
5. Can I upload the information right to the database and skip all this craziness? And what format should it be in to account for all the quote marks around the html?
Thanks for your help. Someone must have figured out how to import straight html stuff to the database before...where are yooooouuuu? Help me.