You can get those social-media icons to appear automatically in the sidebar by following these steps:
– Make sure the Jetpack plugin is active and connected to your WordPress.com account (I see you’re already running it, so you’ve already got this part taken care of!)
– In the Jetpack settings area, activate the Publicize module
– Under Settings > Sharing, connect to your preferred social network(s)
– Under Appearance > Customize, in the Connect panel, select the appropriate social-media accounts and save your settings.
– The social-media icons for the accounts you’ve selected should now appear in your sidebar, and your posts will automatically be shared with those networks on publication. If you prefer not to have them publicized automatically, return to Settings > Sharing, and disconnect your account(s). The icons will still remain in your sidebar.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you so much! Success!
The piece of the puzzle I was missing was the Appearance > Customize part. I didn’t know it adds it to the Theme Customizer after I enable Publicize. I never went back and looked. /facepalm.
Thank you again for your speedy and helpful reply!
My pleasure – glad you’re all set!
@kathryn how can I install this Jetpack plugin on wordpress.com? That’s what I’m using at the moment and from what I understand plugins are for wordpress.org? Can you help?
how can I install this Jetpack plugin on wordpress.com?
You can’t. The purpose of the Jetpack plugin is to bring to your self-hosted WordPress installation features to your installation. If you are on WordPress.COM then you already have those features.
If you need support for your .COM blog then please visit the correct forums.
These forums are for self hosted installations only. You can read about the differences via this link.
Ben – as Jan said, all of Jetpack’s capabilities are already built into WordPress.com, so there’s nothing for you to install. 🙂
If you’re looking to add social-media buttons to Writr on WordPress.com, the steps are the same as the ones I provided above, except you can skip the first two – just start with “Under Settings > Sharing, connect to your preferred social network(s)” and go from there.
If you need further help, do feel free to post in the forums over there.
Thank you for your help in creating the social media buttons. I do however have one issue. My fb button goes to my personal Facebook page. I want to redirect it to my blog page. This is a created page, not my personal profile. How do I do that? Thanks!
Faithreboot – you can always disconnect your personal Facebook page from your Jetpack sharing settings and then reconnect it to a different Facebook page if you prefer. You’ll then need to reselect the new Facebook account in the Customizer.
Here’s a guide to connecting Jetpack to a Facebook page or profile: http://jetpack.me/support/publicize/facebook/
Following on from this question, how do I add a pinterest button when doing it this way? I thought it was there but it’s actually the path button. I managed add Facebook and twitter using jetpack on wordpress.org
fleurdelace – Pinterest isn’t supported through the Publicize feature in Jetpack. Supported services are:
If you’d like to start a new thread and provide a link to your site I may be able to suggest a workaround.
- The topic ‘How to get Social Buttons / Icons to appear?’ is closed to new replies.