The short of my problem was that I moved a domain from a sub-domain where it was being developed and when it came up live, all I got was "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
I tried all the other fixes for this, including disabling the Rewrite rules in .htaccess, to no avail. Here is what worked for me: From the codex page http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress...
Edit wp-login.php and find the line:
require( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-load.php' );
Right after that, add these two code lines and one comment (to remind you to remove it)...
//FIXME: do comment/remove these hack lines. (once the database is updated)
update_option('siteurl', 'http://your.domain.name/the/path' );
update_option('home', 'http://your.domain.name/the/path' );
Now go to the login page for your site and log in - this causes the database to be updated. This worked for me where the other approaches did not.